Tivo Stream 4k Thread

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by stuart628, Jan 7, 2020.

1. stuart628

stuart628 Member

Jul 5, 2006
    TiVo Unveils a Streaming Player to Compete with Roku, Fire TV, & More - Cord Cutters News
    TiVo's $50 Stream 4K dongle takes aim at cord-cutters in April

Just announced at Ces, info still coming out...Looks like it will have live tv streaming services (they mention Sling as the preferred but that tells me that all of them will work with it). I wonder how this will integrate...man I would love to get my hands on one and do a first look!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  2. NightmarePatrol

NightmarePatrol Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    Figures they would do this since I just converted the house to streaming and outfitted everything with a Roku. If it's compelling enough I might just snag one. I'll wait for the reviews to trickle in first.

3. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Yup. I waited and waited, tried and tried to make my TiVo boxes handle streaming, and then finally went Fire TV throughout the house. Too late, TiVo. Or RiVo. Or XperiVo, or whatever your name is now.

For some reason discussion of this topic took off in another thread posted in the Coffee House approximately 15 minutes later: TiVo Launches $50 Streaming Video Player to Take On Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV

I assume all these threads will get moved to a new Stream 4K forum soon.

4. alexzogh

alexzogh New Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Does anyone know if this actually works with a TIVO? It doesn't say anywhere.... very strange.

5. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    It does not. Maybe someday, but no guarantees. This is a very bizarre and sad situation. You'll find more information on this thread, five pages worth so far: TiVo Launches $50 Streaming Video Player to Take On Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV

6. McNublette

McNublette New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    This is what i've been trying to figure out. Can i use this to replace physical hardware. I have a few old tivo-mini's that are showing their age, and it's rather hard for me to drop 200 bucks for a room that rarely is used for TV watching. I was hoping that I could shelve all the mini's - and put my bolt in a server closet. Then use these devices as the interface to my 4tb dvr. I love streaming services and IoT stuff, but I prefer to keep my data local!

7. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    It's encouraging that the CEO recently wrote about "when", not if, they will connect the product lines, but he clearly has no specific plan for that at this time. And it sounds like TiVo_Ted and perhaps others at TiVo would definitely like to finish developing the app that would do just that for us, but the reality is, as Ted posted when he recently surfaced here, it's the cable companies with their installed base of TiVo products that may help push TiVo to do it. That is a much larger market than us retail consumers.

What is wrong with your Mini units? Are they working OK with your TiVo? I have a Roamio Pro in a closet and three Mini 93000 units working perfectly (knock-on-wood), as long as I do not use them for streaming. I have Fire TV products for 4K streaming, so I don't really need the Stream 4K at all unless it helps expand my local TiVo network.

I'm also testing Channels DVR, in case TiVo abandons us completely under the current owners or the next. Channels offers client apps for most platforms including Fire TV ...and also Android, so it will likely work on the Stream 4K long before TiVo ever produces a DVR client app for their own dongle.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020 at 7:17 PM