Tivo Stream 4K randomly restarts while watching a show

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by jzJimbo, Mar 20, 2021.

1. jzJimbo

jzJimbo New Member

Sep 24, 2020

Advertisements

Last year I purchased a Tivo Stream 4K after discovering that HBO/Tivo had removed the HBO GO app and were not going to offer HBO Max app, at least on my Tivo Premier DVR). The original Stream 4K device would not work; exchanged it for a replacement. Got it working and used it occasionally but have begun using it more.

Now it frequently crashes and reboots several times while watching a program. This happens on different apps - usually Fox Now and Peacock. My impression is that it happens most often when they break from the show and switch to a commercial, but that might not be accurate. (Yes, I am streaming these at their 'free' level without subscribing to eliminate commercials.) It happens even when I have no other devices/ activities going on my home network. It is connected via wireless (5G wifi) as well as wired (Ethernet to USB-C adapter) (but I don't know if it uses the wired connection).

Any advice on what to do to diagnose and try different things? If there is a Settings area that I can manipulate, I don't see it.

OS version 9

App version 1.0.594-16

2. prone

prone New Member

Apr 2, 2021
    I've noticed mine (ever since the latest firmware update) crashes quite often now too.. exactly as you decribed it.

3. jzJimbo

jzJimbo New Member

Sep 24, 2020
    It hasn't gotten any better. I will replace this if it doesn't improve. I've taken to using my LCD flatscreen TV's embedded NetFlix and Prime apps instead. I got this to watch HBO on demand - my Premier had HBO GO but they removed it and are not replacing it with Max. I may buy a competitor product.

4. prone

prone New Member

Apr 2, 2021
    I ended up moving to a chromecast w/ gtv for now... I will keep the tivo4k in hope the next update fixes it.

5. slick1ru2

slick1ru2 The Streaminator

Apr 24, 2021

Advertisements

I had this problem too. Rebooted on its own a couple times tonight. And that included on Netflix. So what I did was disable the stream part, the TiVo stream part under apps. That seem to stabilize it. I have two TiVos and one seems to do this more than the other. So after disabling it, no reboot tonight. I also disabled in antivirus app, EST, that I’ve been using since I first got the device, maybe that was what made it stop? Who knows?

Btw, I also tried before deleting that app, closing all apps open in the background. That didn’t stop it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021