Tivo Stream 4K Puts Out HDR All the Time

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by Robert Simandl, May 10, 2020.

1. Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl Member

Jan 16, 2004
    ...even though HDR is only supposed to be for programs specifically encoded with HDR.

This thing puts out HDR on EVERYTHING. Even on the Tivo home menu and Android TV home screen. Even on SD content from my Plex server (which obviously looks like crap).

I don't see a setting to fix this. Am I just missing it? Thanks.

2. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    No and several topics on this

3. ptcfast2

ptcfast2 Member

May 10, 2020
    There's a lot of stuff on here that they seemingly left out. You're not crazy...it's even already in the code, you just can't get to it by normal means.

The option to disable Dolby Vision is there in the code. It works. Same with HDR crap...

I'd like to add that on a non-Dolby Vision TV turning Dolby Vision "off" actually makes the picture better. I wonder if it's forced this way because they don't have proper detection code or something here, because it should NOT do that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    foghorn2 likes this.
  4. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Theres alot of stuff missing!

5. Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl Member

Jan 16, 2004
    No way to turn off always-on HDR? Or to make it automatic like it should be? Major deal breaker!

6. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Depends if you want to wait to see if it gets fixed. It took Apple a few months to fix it

7. Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Somebody on the Tivo Owners Facebook group tells me the Edge DVR has the same problem, and to this date has not been fixed. If that's true, not a good sign for it getting fixed here.

8. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    If a TV doesn't support HDR like mine then is the TiVo stream still in HDR mode?

9. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Would like to know the answer to that as well since none of my TVs support HDR.

cybergrimes likes this.
  10. Robert Simandl

Robert Simandl Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Just looked at the Tivo Edge Forum here, Edge definitely has the same problem and has not been fixed, even though it was first brought up last OCTOBER.

11. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Check the display settings.