TiVo Stream 4K - Expansion Options

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by JOSHSKORN, Aug 15, 2020.

1. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

Aug 27, 2015

Advertisements

If you have done a special setup to enhance your TiVo Stream 4K experience, please reply to this thread with these details:
    • What goal did you achieve with your setup?
    • Name of device(s) and link(s) to buy
    • Which port did you plug your setup in on your TiVo Stream 4K (USB Type C or MicroUSB)?
    • (If Possible), a picture of your setup
    Items listed may at some point be color coded, if necessary. If such thing happens, it would indicate reliable vs semi-reliable. Devices that are currently unavailable or discontinued, will be marked as well.

I will try to go through this forum and other sources over the next few days to compile a list. Again, if you know of something that works, please use this thread and share your information.

MicroUSB Adapters
    (MicroUSB) TUSITA OTG Micro USB HUB Adaptor with Power
    • 1 Female MicroUSB - Connect to TS4K's Included Power Adapter
    • 3 Female USB 2.0 Ports
    • Source
    (MicroUSB) AuviPal 2-in-1 Powered Micro USB to USB OTG Adapter Cable
    • 1 Male MicroUSB - Connect to TiVo Stream 4K
    • 1 Female MicroUSB - Connect to TS4K's Included Power Adapter
    • 1 Female USB - Connect to USB Devices
    • Source

USB Type-C Adapters
    (USB Type-C) tomtoc USB C to USB 3.0 Adapter
    • Male USB Type-C to Female USB 3.0 Adapter
    • Note: the source (next bullet) shows using this adapter to connect to a UGREEN USB A Adapter (USB to Ethernet). The link in the video's description is dead, leaving me to believe that the product is no longer available. I will update if this changes.
    • Source
    Ethernet Connectivity
    (USB Type-C) Techkey USB C to Ethernet Adapter
    • USB Type-C to Ethernet Connectivity
    • Source
    (USB Type-C to USB A) J5 Create USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter, JUE130
    • The specific USB Type-C to USB A adapter used is unknown.
    • Source
    (USB Type-C) UGREEN Ethernet Adapter for Fire TV Stick 4K
    • 1 USB 2.0 for Power
    • 1 Ethernet Connector
    • AC Wall Charger Not included (as noted on device images from Amazon's website)
    • Source 1, Source 2.
    (USB Type-C to USB 3.0 adapter) Smays - Gigabit Ethernet Adapter for Nintendo Switch, USB 3.0 LAN Network
    Hubs
    (USB Type-C) Inateck USB C Hub (Notes below on this device are still pending)
    • Ethernet Port - Connector does not work with TiVo Stream 4K but it works with other devices
    • Female VGA Connector (Video Output only) *Not Tested*
    • Female HDMI Connector (Output only) *Not Tested*
    • Two USB 3.0 Connector
    • Two USB Type-C Connectors, one in-use for power. *Second port Not Tested*
    • MicroSD Reader *Not Tested*
    • SD Card Reader *Not Tested*
    • Source

External Storage Devices (MicroSD or SD Cards, USB Hard Drives, NAS, etc.)
    (Ethernet Connected) Synology 2 bay NAS DiskStation DS218+ (Discontinued)
    • Connected to Network via Ethernet (USB 3.0 also available)
    • TS4K Connection: WiFi 5GHz Network to Ubiquiti Access Point (Wired to Network by Ethernet). Note: This might not be the exact model number tested but it is the latest. Also, it is important to note that the user that reported this item working within their infrastructure, is connected on WiFi 5GHz, not WiFi 2.4. WiFi 5Ghz supports faster transfer speeds (appropriate for video stream), has less interference but does not have as good a range as a WiFi 2.4 GHz connected device. Therefore, if a reliable WiFi 5GHz connection is not an option, your results may vary.
    • DS218+ Model replaced by DS220j and DS220+. Note that there is a big price difference between these two NAS solutions.
    • Source
    Video Capture Devices

Keyboards/Mice/Other Remote Devices
    (USB Type-C to Hub with USB 3.0) Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 Plus *Partially works* *Pending further testing*
    • USB 2.0 Dongle connected via USB 3.0 port on Inateck USB C Hub.
    • ENTER Key may not work
    • This keyboard may only work within apps and not when trying to enter Wi-Fi info.
    • Source

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    WOT Time likes this.
  2. Jim1348

Jim1348 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2015
  3. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
  4. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I'm still trying to find the right hardware to hook up a 3-4TB portable drive. I can use a SanDisk flash drive 32gb directly into the usb-c port on the TS4K without issue. Works beautiful with MxPlayer to access all my video folders on that flash drive. I formatted a Toshiba Slim drive to exFat and put on about 100gb of movie folders .. that worked too using the OTG setup pictured .. but when that same Toshiba Slim drive was loaded with 1.8TB of movies, it fails to be recognized or flakes rapidly if it is recognized. No solution found yet. Apparently, size matters?

Tivo Stream 4k Connections for HDD.png

5. Jim1348

Jim1348 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2015

Advertisements

TiVo Stream 4K Speed 1.jpg TiVo Stream 4K Speed 2.jpg

These are from a couple of weeks ago. So, to answer your question, the speeds are no slower than other things in my home. (My internet is from an AT&T Mobile Router.)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  6. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

Aug 27, 2015
    @Jim1348 I'm getting the impression that size does matter in terms of portable drives. I have a couple of questions now, maybe you or someone can answer for me, since I do not own the device, yet.

First of all, to your point of if size matters...I'm wondering if larger drives have enough power to run from the TiVo Stream 4K. Maybe try something that requires an external power source? Just a thought. I scanned through the USB C - what works and what doesn't thread and seem to remember something like that. But if we can nail down those details, I'll definitely include them in the original post.

Also, would you know if the Android TV version that the TiVo Stream 4K is a 32 or 64-bit operating system? I don't quite know how it all works, but as far as I know, 32-bit OS's can see only a hard drive size of 3.2 TB. I have a TiVo Bolt+, and its hard drive size is 3 TB. The OS's on TiVo Bolt's are only 32-bit, I believe. Previously, I had a TiVo Bolt, which I kinda ended up busting, myself, as I upgraded the hard drive to a 4 TB, which worked for awhile, until it overheated and killed the whole thing. Luckily, I was still under the trial period, so my subscription hadn't activated on my original device. I've also heard a report of an 8 TB HDD working on a Bolt. So maybe to a point, it is "Large Address Aware".

7. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Nailing down the details will not be easy. There was a post on the "what works" thread you mention about using a "powered" hub.

>>My 4TB Seagate portable HDD works fine when hooked up to a powered hub. My USB-C hub with PD pass-through does the job when used with a 18W USB-C power adapter (specifically the one what came with my Pixel 3). ( the hub mentioned here is the Komkaer that is no longer available.)

I tried this with several powered hubs and no go for the 2tb Drive. I also tried using a docking station (powered) but that did not work either, in fact it would not even recognize the 32gb SanDisk flash drive that seems to work in almost any setup. A "powered" hub makes sense but I can't find the right one. When I hookup my 2TB Toshiba Slim drive via the OTG method, it nearly works ..

I did notice that when an external disk is plugged in that TS4K does a scan. What would this be? Scanning for what?

8. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Just a guess, maybe it's scanning to verify compatibility or maybe it wants you to format the drive correctly for use? What FS (file system) is the drive formatted for? NTFS, FAT32 or exFAT? I can't remember what FS was used by others, but not NTFS. I believe that this info is somewhere in the USB Type-C thread. I'll search it out at some point and indicate it on the OP.

I'd noticed, while working at a place that has several public computer work stations, that we'd occasionally have a customer that would plug in a USB device, and then Windows would prompt the user to format the device, which usually indicates that the drive is dead. So, are you sure the drive works while plugged into another device?

9. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    >> What FS (file system) is the drive formatted for? NTFS, FAT32 or exFAT?

I formatted exFat for both my Toshiba Slim 2TB and the 32gb SanDisk Thumbdrive. NTFS did not work at all.

>>So, are you sure the drive works while plugged into another device?

Yes. My Toshiba Slim 2TB works fine on my Windows 10 laptop and my Windows 8.1 PC. The 32gb SanDisk works everywhere, including plugged into the TS4K directly via the USB-C port or via the OTG cable which uses the MicroPower.

I did notice when I plug in the Toshiba Slim via the OTG that it nearly works. The drive flashes white (not blue as it should for 3.0).

I also noticed that the TS4K seems to be loading a folder called "Android" onto what ever external device you plug in.

10. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

Aug 27, 2015
    I'll be sure and note the file system on the OP.

What OTG cable did you use? Was it connected through Micro USB or USB Type-C? I'm still also trying to figure out the throughput of the TS4K's MicroUSB port vs USB Type-C in relation to USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. Furthermore, I'm wondering exactly which devices need external power to work properly, like, an external hard drive or even the hub itself. AFAIK, OTG cables don't require any power.

On a related note, I read on the USB Type-C thread that USB 3.1 seems like a no-go. I'll see if I can link up the exact post comment when I have time, maybe I'll add the device in question (if that info is supplied) to the OP and indicate that it does NOT work.

11. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Here's the OTG cable I bought at Amazon

The OTG basically splits the power coming from the TS4K power brick. As you can see from attached picture, USB-C is not used. This works fine if you attach a 32gb San Disk Thumbdrive into the USB A Female port -- and it "nearly" works for the Toshiba Slim drive. I think I have all the connectors properly labeled.

Is there a size limit for connecting an external storage to the TS4K ? Or is there some difference between the San Disk 32gb and the Toshiba Slim. Both are exFAT. Both work without issue on my laptop and my PC.

Tivo Stream 4k Connections for HDD full.png

12. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Is there a size limit? I think so, for portable devices. I swear I saw something on the USB Type-C thread, maybe this was the comment. If that's the case, then the limit would be 128GB without requiring additional power. I'll update you if I see anything different. Part of me also wonders if USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 could make the difference, if one requires more power or not.

EDIT: See this post. User claims to have gotten 1TB to work, but I'm not clear of the setup as of this moment.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  13. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I've seen the same thing. 128gb flash drive seems to be the limit. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE SUCCESSFULLY HOOKING UP LARGER THAN 128GB FOR AN EXTERNAL DRIVE?

14. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Is there an improvement based on keeping media on a HD attached to the TS4K vs on a pre-existing NAS? It just seems like you're creating a lot of difficult work.

15. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    A NAS sounds like the solution .. I just hate to mess with my router as it is working so well. I've never setup a NAS. My router is about 5 or 6 years old. I'm still running Windows 8.1 on a 7 year old system .. when I move to Windows 10 and a new system, I'll get a new router too and do the NAS.

16. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I just did a chat with Tivo Support about the size limit for storage on the TS4K.

Jenelyn (8:28:53 AM):Thank you for contacting TiVo Support Chat, my name is Jenelyn and I am happy to assist you.
    Me (8:29:44 AM):Is there a limit to size storage that can be attached via the USB-C connector on Tivo STream 4k?
    Jenelyn (8:31:24 AM):Let me check on this real quick.
    Me (8:31:38 AM):eek:k
    Jenelyn (8:34:23 AM):Thank you for patiently waiting.
    Jenelyn (8:35:37 AM):We would like to inform you that there's no limit to that but as of the moment the storage connector is not yet available or not yet fully functional.
    Me (8:36:20 AM):Thanks. I assume there will be a device update at some point to make the USB-C functional?
    Jenelyn (8:37:04 AM):Yes. We are still working on that but we do not have any specific date/time when it will be available.
    Me (8:37:38 AM):Ok. Thanks.

17. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    There are plenty of NAS solutions out there that don't rely on your router, well except for the normal things a router does for any device on the network. I'm currently using a Synology 218+ two drive NAS which was easy for even me to configure (typical home consumer networking skills).

18. jaselzer

jaselzer Active Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I am using a Synology DS220j. Easy to set up and fun too if you are a nerdy tech loving person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Lenonn

Lenonn Member TCF Club

May 30, 2004
    Interesting.

20. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

Aug 27, 2015
    When I get my TiVo Stream 4K, I'm going to attempt to connect it to my NAS. Basically, it'll be hardwired to a MoCA network, where I'll be trying to connect to a Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STCA4000100) (I bought it in 2013), which is connected to an ASUS RT-AC87U AC2400 Router (not sure when I bought it but it was new at the time). This router is connected via Ethernet to a Fios Quantum gateway Router Q1100. Unfortunately, I need to also buy a Verizon or Frontier branded Network extender (WCB6200Q), the one I was trying to us is Actiontec branded and requires a reboot much of the time (I have two extenders), the other extender I have is Verizon branded which is actually reliable. I'll look on eBay for one.