TiVo Stream 4K $49.99 Introductory Offer. Save $20!

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by Jim1348, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Jim1348

Jim1348 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2015
    I am now considering one more TiVo Stream 4K. Is $49.99 now the actual price? If it is truly an introductory offer, does anybody now when the offer ends?

2. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    It ends the day before you decide to buy the 2nd one. That is how it usually works at least.

randyb359 likes this.
  3. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Just hop on Amazon and get it. Don't think tivo has free shipping anymore. Amazon has Prime 2-day or free slow shipping for non prime I believe. I have three now.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

4. rczrider

rczrider Active Member

May 15, 2020
    This is almost certainly the "regular" price. It's discounted so they can mine your viewing data, refine their algorithm, and license it out. This is literally the only way TiVo has made any money in the past 15 years; the TS4K represents a new way for them to do it. Same way/reason Google gives most of their products away for free and sells their hardware relatively cheaply.

Agreed about buying through Amazon, though. TiVo customer service is awful.

Johnwashere likes this.
  5. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    from what i have read on the internet tivo is only keeping the price at $49.99 until july31 and then goes up to $69.99 on august 1 unless they change their mind again!

6. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Maybe they'll keep it at $50 until the big bugs are solved.

shwru980r likes this.
  7. rczrider

rczrider Active Member

May 15, 2020
  8. Jim1348

Jan 3, 2015
    I was wondering about that, too.

9. tigercat74

tigercat74 Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Aug 7, 2004
    Powell, TN
    I ordered one from Amazon on Thursday and paid $49.99 plus tax.

10. Jim1348

Jan 3, 2015
    Good move. I maybe should have. What price does it show for you now, if you tried to order this evening?

11. tigercat74

tigercat74 Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Aug 7, 2004
    Powell, TN
    $60.77

12. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The Fire Tv Stick 4K is on sale for $25 and doesn't have the bugs.

13. rczrider

rczrider Active Member

May 15, 2020
    I responded to your other post, but I'll respond here, too. I agree that for a lot of people, the Fire TV Stick 4K is a better bang for your buck. For folks like my parents, there's literally nothing anyone can say that will convince me to buy anything else. I keep one in my bag for traveling.

The TS4K is at least marginally faster, has expansion capabilities the Fire TV Stick 4K. does not, and runs Android TV (which is preferable, IMO). If you don't understand the differences between the devices, though, then you would probably be better off with a Fire TV Stick 4K.

14. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    I still have a fire 4k stick in plastic. If you're doing any sort of live channels, if you're not using a recast, I would imagine android tv is a better solution.

15. rczrider

rczrider Active Member

May 15, 2020
    Either the "live TV" crowd is just really loud, or I'm in the minority, because I still can't think of a reason to care about truly live TV via my streaming device. There's simply not enough good live TV out there for me to be interested in more than OTA. Unless I don't understand what you mean by "live TV"?

Then again, I'm on a TiVo forum, so of course the overwhelming majority of folks on here can't let go of live TV. I may still be in the minority.

16. Alex_7

Alex_7 Member

Jun 24, 2020
    Only thing I watch “live” are live sports. I can’t stand commercials.

17. rczrider

rczrider Active Member

May 15, 2020
    Are they available on Sling? Because isn't Sling available on the Fire Stick 4K?

I'm just trying to figure out what "live" TV the user is talking about that is completely unavailable on the Fire Stick 4K but is available on the TS4K. I'm not suggesting this isn't the case, but I'm interested in what they're specifically referring to.

18. Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    I have Fire TV is a skinned Amazon version of Android TV also. Turn on developer options and download the app downloader and can add any android TV apps there are that are not available by default.

I was just looking int the TS4K and wondering what makes it better than Fire TV. I read it has a guide option that shows multiple streaming apps that might be interesting. The Fire TV interface is a bit of a mess. The Roku interface is very nice, but unfortunately it does not run android.

19. rczrider

rczrider Active Member

May 15, 2020
    I'm pretty sure the Fire Stick 4K runs Android OS, not Android TV. IIRC, they run on the same codebase, but they're different enough that the distinction matters.

I'm hardly one to sing the praises of the TS4K (quite the opposite, in fact, as I've been highly critical), but the Amlogic SOC found in the TS4K is marginally faster than the MediaTek found in the Fire Stick 4K, and there's 25% more RAM in the TS4K. Add to that the distinction above (that the Fire Stick 4K runs Android and not Android TV), the interface, and the app selection, and I think the argument could be made that the TS4K is a better device (on paper) in just about every way.

The real difference is that the Fire Stick 4K software is more stable. Amazon seems to know what they're doing, while TiVo needs to get their act together. And until TiVo gets their ducks in a row, I'd recommend the Fire Stick 4K at $25 over the TS4K at $55 (cost + shipping directly from TiVo, as it's currently $61 at Amazon).