TiVo stops working after every power outage

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by JOSHSKORN, Mar 13, 2019.

1. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

Aug 27, 2015
    I know this is a common problem as I have searched high and low for answers on how to fix it, but I haven't seen anything on how to prevent it.

I know TiVo Support keeps telling me that this may happen if you are not plugged directly into the wall and are using a powerstrip, but I've personally debunked that theory by plugging it directly into the wall, and what do you know? I have a power outage and when the power comes back on, the TiVo lights do not.

Does anyone know of any "affordable" way of preventing this? I've looked at some things, but they are pricey, as in the $130 and up range, and I don't even know if they'd do the job.

Thanks.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Is your power cord having an issue?

I would get a UPS.

cwerdna likes this.
  3. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Can you recommend one?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    If all you want is for your Tivo DVR, probably most anything you can find in the $50 range should be sufficient. Most of the UPS's have a couple "battery" outlets and then a few standard "surge" only outlets. You would use one of the battery outlets for the Tivo, which should keep you up an running for brief outages, maybe an hour or so.
    https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Uninterruptible-Power-Supply-Units/b?ie=UTF8&node=764572
    Costco by me usually has one in stock at this price range. Also, keep in mind that the batteries in these things tend to go bad in 2-3 years, but are pretty easy to replace.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I like UPSes from APC.

Some else here on TCF had an argument with me about APC and strongly prefers CyberPower. I wouldn't bother w/CyberPower's stuff, but that's just me. To each his/her own.

(Heck, I recall some argument here about TCF where someone was suggesting NOT putting TiVos (and maybe most electronic equipment) on a UPS. :rolleyes:)

That said, APC stuff isn't indestructible or bullet proof. And, with all UPSes, you'll need to replace the battery after maybe 3-5 years.

On some of the cheapest APC units, the battery is NOT replaceable. I learned that when I recently got one for my parents. Judging by my Amazon order history, it probably was this guy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HDC236Q, specifically the 425 VA BE425M.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  6. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Has APC put in a "shut the hell up, I can see power is out" mode yet? I used to be a very firm APC man. To the extent that there were only two brands in my world, APC and Not APC. I switched because at the time there was no way to tell them they didn't need to keep beeping to let me know power's out.

Was doubly fun when power went out in the middle of the night. "Oh good, now there's TWO reasons I can't sleep".

7. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    I use an APC Back-UPS Pro (BX1500M) to backup my Tivo, tv and needed accessories. Not cheep, but my 65 inch tv will run with no power for about 50 minutes. I actually got it because when the power just blinked out, it would take a long time for my Tivo to recover. Also Automatic Voltage Regulation. May help my Tivo to outlive TiVo service.

8. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I agree I buy the cheapest UPS that has Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR).

9. ncbill

ncbill Active Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Western NC
    I solved that on all my UPS units via opening them up and using needle-nose pliers to pop the piezo off the board.

dianebrat and mikey94025 like this.
  10. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    Jumping in on this thread because my 4th replacement Bolt just died after a momentary power fail, all previous ones failing exactly the same way i.e. boots part way until switches to hi-res video mode, then powers off. After last fail, they told me to not plug into my UPS or a Power strip and go directly to the wall, which I did and here we are again. The Bolt just seems fatally flawed.

Should I replace or have them downgrade me to a Roamio? My old Premiere 4 just keeps going and going

11. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    I wonder if the power adapter is bad - those things are cheaply made and perhaps TiVo got a batch of horrible ones. And they will cause those kinds of problems if they are weak and dying.

12. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Is it possible to use a 3rd party power adapter?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

13. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Sherman...
    I had them send me a new power adapter after the 2nd failure, no difference

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've never had an issue with my APC UPSs beeping over the last 20+ years. But all mine can be disabled with their Powerchute software. The issue was their cheaper ones could not be disabled.

But last year I got my GF several $20 APC UPSs that did not beep when the power went out, They only beep when the battery is a few minutes from being exhausted or needs to be replaced. For my GF they are perfect since they are still small but will still protect or TiVos and FiOS router during an outage.

These were the ones I got from Newegg. I got them for $20 each(Although they are charging much more than $20 now). I got one for myself(for my cell phone charger) and I got three for my GF.
    APC Back-UPS Connect BGE70 UPS - Newegg.com

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    cwerdna likes this.
  15. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, every now and then Newegg was having pretty good deals (<$25 or less) on those low wattage output 2-prong only APC UPSes. I have at least two of this type.

They should be fine for TiVo Bolts and are definitely fine for other low wattage stuff (e.g. modems, routers/access points, and consumer switches and hubs).

16. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Feel free to call these especially-nice deals to our attention here. :)

17. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    All my APC UPSs can silence the alarm, the BackUPS Pro I have in the office has a dedicated and plainly labeled button for the purpose