Tivo stole my money

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MijMcKee, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Jun 7, 2020 #1 of 27
    MijMcKee

MijMcKee New Member

Jun 7, 2020
    I have been a TIVO customer for close to 25 years. I can't believe what just happened to me. My bank sent me a new debit card at some point so the card on file didn't work when my annual subscription was due. I haven't been home and didn't realize my account needed updated. When I realized realized this and updated my credit card, $149 was taken from my account. TIVO DID NOT REACTIVATE MY BOLT!!! I called customer service after seeing online that my account was still closed. Both the rep and the supervisor told me that since this box was cancelled that the money will be refunded in 7 days and I will need to give them another $149 to reactivate my box. When I tried to find out why their system doesn't just reactivate the device when it charges my card, I was simply told that's how their system works and I have to trust they will refund my money. I ask them to simply give me a temporary activation until I see the credit is back on my card. They refused. She then started quoting TIVO policy and I told her I wanted to start recording the conversation. She then put me on hold and when she came back, she told me she could not talk about the account until I stopped recording. I asked her if they were recording as the message stated when I called in and she said "we may be but you can't". I don't think she understands the law.

The only thing she could offer me was something I could've done in 30 seconds online. She suggested I pay for a monthly plan and cancel it within 30 days for a "money back guarantee" and then reactivate the annual after receiving the credit. She absolutely refused to help me in any other way after 25 years and never having late payments.

This supervisors employee code is 472146. This will be then end of my relationship with TIVO. I am in disbelief that nothing was done to correct a wrong on an account that has been open over 2 decades.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  2. Jun 7, 2020 #2 of 27
    DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Were you taking a drama class? :rolleyes: :D

If you really don't trust they'll provide the refund before committing more $, why don't you wait it out and only provide another payment after you receive the refund. Or call back and see if you get a different response/resolution.

Also, you should pay using a credit card, not a debit card. Credit cards provide better protection and charge back capability.

Good luck!

P.S. TiVo did not steal your money, they borrowed it.

3. Jun 7, 2020 #3 of 27
    MijMcKee

MijMcKee New Member

Jun 7, 2020
    After spending almost an hour online with them, I'm sure I am feeling a little dramatic. The bank has no record of a refund and I shouldn't have to do without service while waiting for the money. This is clearly a flawed system. If a utility company shuts someones service off because a card was not updated and the customer updates the card, the service is restored. My problem is that they took the money and didn't reactivate the TIVO. Why allow the system to charge the card if it's not going to restore my service. This makes absolutely no sense.

4. Jun 7, 2020 #4 of 27
    Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Want suggestions on TiVo replacements? What do you need your DVR to do?

5. Jun 7, 2020 #5 of 27
    tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I can understand your frustration. And keep in mind this is Tivo, with off shore support. Only thing you can do at this point I think is wait for the refund to show up. Then reactivate. I actually had a similar problem with a MAJOR company, due to a card of mine being lost and replaced with new number. An auto billing statement did not get paid exactly on time (ended up being a couple days late). They charged me penalties etc. I think I got them reversed but took awhile, hassle like you are experiencing. As for recording phone calls, it is illegal unless you inform whomever you are recording that you are doing it. Since you informed them it is legal, but they have the right not to talk about anything really, once they know you are recording. Almost any company you call they will say "this may be recorded", they are letting you know for legal resaons, of course you have the right not to talk but will not get your issue solved.

A final suggestion, if you like what the Tivo box does don't shoot yourself in the foot over this. By canning Tivo permanently. As a DVR, in spite of all the issues Tivo is still the best IMO. Don't punish yourself just to make a statement. Sometimes that is tough, especially with near monopoly companies, ie no similar alternatives available.......................

Note, if you don't mind used machines you can get lifetime service Bolts for $200-300 if patient. Might be an idea rather than paying $150 a year?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  6. Jun 7, 2020 #6 of 27
    MijMcKee

MijMcKee New Member

Jun 7, 2020

I actually have 7 lifetime Tivos that work perfectly fine. I just couldn't believe that after being a faithful customer for 25 years that they wouldn't even turn my service on for a few days until I got the unnecessary refund that should've reactivated my unit to begin with. I would think that loyalty would bean something.

7. Jun 7, 2020 #7 of 27
    tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    You would think so but usually the person you talk to has little to no authority. Been that way since Rovi took over. Pretty much impossible to talk with anyone who can do ANYTHING, they have to call someone else (the person YOU should be talking to), by the time they convey what they think you said and get an "answer" from whoever they call, well good luck. Just the way it is, and not just Tivo..............

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  8. Jun 7, 2020 #8 of 27
    SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Are you selling the lifetime units? What do you have and how much do you want?

kpeters59 likes this.
  9. Jun 7, 2020 #9 of 27
    MijMcKee

MijMcKee New Member

Jun 7, 2020
    I'm keeping them for a rainy day. I use most of them on a regular basis around the house.

10. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    First, there are systems in place that, in most cases, can't be circumvented.
    Second, TiVo didn't steal anything. You are being refunded.I wouldn't be surprised if, with the current pandemic, it takes a little longer for it to be processed, but you've been told you will get your money back and also what you can do to reactivate your Bolt.

People are too quick to throw around words like 'stole', 'fraud', 'crooks', 'thieves', etc. without actually thinking about what they are accusing others of doing.

Finally, you devalue your rant by claiming you've been a customer for four years longer than TiVo have been trading! The first DVR, a nine hour Philips box was launched on March 31st, 1999, so the maximum time you could possibly have been a customer is 21 years, not 'close to 25'. I still have a Philips TiVo in my basement, which is actually a pre-launch demo box (I'm a journalist), so I've been a customer for longer than you, and I can only claim 21 years, although technically, I wasn't a customer in the beginning!

11. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Oh, so it’s not the end of your relationship with tivo then after all.

12. MijMcKee

MijMcKee New Member

Jun 7, 2020
    First of all, I said close to 25 years. Sorry I didn't take the time to see when the first Phillips units were sold but I knew it was in the 90s. Second, yes it is theft. I simply updated my card and they took the money without providing any service. They have yet to provide any documentation that a refund has in fact been refunded nor has my bank. The money simply disappeared with the exception of the supervisor on the phone telling me it will be refunded. If they have the money, there's no reason my box is still deactivated and is needing another $149 to reactivate it. I can almost guarantee you would be just as upset that you paid for a service, the money is off the card, you've received nothing and they want an additional $149 while they are telling you the first payment is being refunded for no apparent reason. My biggest problem is the lack of willingness to even apologize or attempt to correct the problem.

13. Bruce24

Bruce24 Member

Jan 8, 2003
    boston
    "I can almost guarantee you would be just as upset that you paid for a service, the money is off the card, you've received nothing and they want an additional $149 while..."

In my case you would be wrong. Maybe it's because I use credit cards, not debit cards, so I have plenty of time for refunds to resolve before I would have to actually pay. I would also have been fine with them charging my card again to get my Tivo going again, by the time the credit card bill arrived the refund should have cleared and if not I would dispute the first charge.

randyb359 likes this.
  14. MijMcKee

MijMcKee New Member

Jun 7, 2020
    I think you are missing my point. It's not about the money. They are asking me to pay twice without any verification whatsoever that I will receive the money. I don't want to be in a position to dispute the credit with them or my credit card company. My problem is they should've never started a refund process and simply applied the money to reactivate the box. Furthermore, just like you, I've been a valued customer for many years and you would think they would be able to recognize a flaw in the system and help resolve the issue on their end.

15. TonyTheTiger

Dec 22, 2006
    21 isn't 'close to' 25 in anyone's book and you made the point to state it a lot in your original post as if to say 'I was a founding father. I shouldn't be treated like this'!

Again, no it isn't. It's a misunderstanding - a mistake at worst. Theft is an intentional act to defraud someone by taking property with the purpose of profiting from it. This is by no means theft.

Your 'almost' guarantee would be wrong. I'd be mildly inconvenienced, sure, but I'd file a dispute with my credit card and get on with my day without accusing large companies of stealing! I certainly wouldn't pay for anything with a debit car if I could avoid it!

...and from what you, yourself said, they offered two solutions - either pay the $149, or even better, take out a monthly subscription and cancel it when you get the refund. That counts as two 'attempts to fix the problem', which you accuse them of not doing. I'll 'almost guarantee' the CSR said the words 'I'm sorry' at some point in the conversation too! Just because you weren't happy with the solution offered does not mean they didn't try to help you.

For the record, I'm not trying to defend TiVo. I just dislike people who, when something doesn't go quite right for them, yell 'Theft' or accuse companies of dishonesty just because they don't get the immediate result they are looking for. I, myself am waiting for a refund of close to $4000 (sorry, $3700, so not close to) from a cruise line for a canceled trip I had paid for. I'm not screaming theft or anything at all. It's been well over the 60 days in which I was promised a refund, so I have filed a dispute with Amex and I'll wait quietly for it to be resolved and not go to the cruise forums yelling 'the cruise line stole my money'! I also remember that there's a pandemic, so not everyone is working as efficiently as they might.

pfiagra likes this.
  16. MijMcKee

MijMcKee New Member

Jun 7, 2020
    You obviously just like to argue. Yes, 21 is close to 25 when I knew it was sometime in the 90s. No, I wasn't claiming I'm a founding father however I own a large business and value all customers, especially those that have been loyal customers since the beginning.

No, it's not a misunderstanding. I spoke to the agent and the supervisor however they are not given the ability to correct issues like this. Most companies at least give a supervisor the ability to recognize a flaw and have tools available to help the customer without making the situation even more inconvenient. It's not a mistake if they are telling me that's the way their system works and they don't want to correct it.

I don't like you either so at least we are on the same page. I can respect that you don't like it when someone uses the term theft however this is my opinion and I'm the one having to deal with a very unnecessary situation. I'll gladly end this conversation at this point since we clearly don't care for one another...

17. TonyTheTiger

Dec 22, 2006
    So a 17-year-old can drink legally because they are close to being 21? 1990 is also some time in the 90's and I wonder if you were actually one of the first to get a TiVo anyway. It took you 21 years to find this forum and complain, so I bet your facts about how long you've been a customer is wrong, too.

I never said I didn't like you, just what you're doing, so that proves a lack of understanding of basic principles on your part. However, your hostile, combative attitude is not exactly on page one of 'How to win Friends and Influence People'.

I seem to need to repeat myself over and over as you can't grasp simple concepts and, of course, your large business has never made a mistake. I'm sure all your employees have the ability to refund hundreds of dollars without referring back to you, especially outsourced CSRs! IT makes me wonder if you inherited this 'large business' of yours and, indeed, what you consider a large business to be. After all, it takes skill and intelligence to maintain any kind of business - qualities you are failing to display here.

You say they 'don't want to correct it', but how about they don't have the ABILITY to correct it? Before I got sick last year, I worked for a vendor for a very large technology company. When my CSRs took calls from people who had locked themselves out of their phones, they would help them, but sometimes, password recovery could take a number of days. Do you think they were happy? Of course not, but in reality it was their own fault, just like you not keeping your payment method up to date - or is that TiVo stealing from you too?

Don't bother to respond. It's clear you can't think logically and I'm done going round in circles.

18. MijMcKee

MijMcKee New Member

Jun 7, 2020
    I haven't found this forum because this is actually the first forum for any product I've felt the desire to join. It's not my thing. You're clearly an instigator. Yes, I still have the Phillips tivo in my closet and yes, I did buy the TIVO the day they released them as I had been waiting in anticipation of the DVR. You certainly have no idea what you are talking about. Also you did in fact say "I don't like people that" instead of saying "I don't like it when someone" therefore you did in fact say you don't like me. I will lose no sleep over the loss of your freindship.

Also, since you just had to make inappropriate accusations, here's a screen shot of the inactive devices on my account. They apparently didn't keep track of the Phillips units or possibly don't keep records past 20 years but as you can see I'm not someone who has just recently subscribed to TIVO. In fact, I swapped out several hard drives in the earlier models as the drives became larger or simply failed before their time.

upload_2020-6-8_12-42-15.png

19. hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I'm baffled as to why they couldn't simply reactivate your Bolt, instead of going through the rigamarole of a refund and second payment. Asinine way to do business.

tommage1 likes this.
  20. Bruce24

Bruce24 Member

Jan 8, 2003
    boston
    While I see this is really bothering, to me this just isn't a big deal, I guess we just see things very differently.