Tivo Standard Cable Problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jvas64, Aug 2, 2007.

1. jvas64

jvas64 New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Hey guys,

I tried searching for a thread for this, but most of the ones out there talk about the cable card problems.

I am on the third day with TivoHD connected to standard cable. Since from the start, it has been restarting itself out of nowhere. I came in today during lunch time and the tivo was off, but the green light kept blinking, so I unplugged and then plugged the power back up. I did the service upgrade, so hopefully this might fix this issue, although the screens are a bit slower now. In addition, when switching channels, sometimes it gets a blank screen and a message at the bottom saying searching for signal. In addition, I use the "full" aspect, but some of the channels do not get stretched and have kind of static lines at the left/right edges. Is there something I am doing wrong on my part? I plan on upgrading to digital cable, but there is no way Im going to if it cant even get the basic cable correctly. I would hate to return this TiVo that I got for under 220 ;) , but I dont want to keep having these problems. Thanks.

-joe

2. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    An HD broadcast of SD content (which currently is most of the time), will always have the side pillars and the aspect button may not affect this on an HD or S3 (as I recall). The static lines may be introduced by the cable company if you see them on some, but not all cable channels.

3. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    An HD broadcast of SD content (which currently is most of the time), will always have the side pillars and the aspect button may not affect this on an HD or S3 (as I recall). The static lines may be introduced by the cable company if you see them on some, but not all cable channels. If you swutch channels to an encrypted channel, you will not get anything without cablecards. The Tivo software doesn't weed them out for you. (this is based on an S3, but the HD should be similar.