TiVo Spam

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Mot, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Mot

Mot New Member

May 3, 2004

Advertisements

Hey, I've loved owning a TiVi for a good many years now, but suddenly it seems the good folks at TiVo have perhaps forgotten that we paid them (lifetime)/are paying them to use the software.

So how come all the new ads? The automobile sneak peaks, the Martha Stewart stuff, etc.

The more in-your-face the advertising, the more likely the adoption of Windows Media Center Edition, or the DVRs offered by the cable and satellite providers.

Come on, TiVo. The service should be free of ads. We're paying for this stuff.

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The ads have been there all along (or at least many years). I'm not saying I like them, but there have been some form of ads for a very very long time..

BTW, if you can get media center to work *with cable cards*, without paying a monthly fee.. great...

3. pilotbob

pilotbob New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Florida
    ReplayTV is releasing this month. Their service is $20 a year. It won't be long before someone starts building ReplayTV based units in a STB like form factor that will/can compete with Tivo.

BOb

4. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Hardly. MCE is not a consumer-focused product offering. It really is best for aficionados.

If you are interesting, I can provide links to forums with thousands and thousands of messages about pet peeves regarding the cable and satellite DVRs. TiVo is very deliberately a better device, ads and all, as compared to those alternatives.

As others have pointed out in other threads, this is a specious argument. I pay for my airline flights, yet there are advertisements presented before take-off. I pay for my DVDs, and yet there are advertising inserts in each. I paid for books from amazon.com and the box is often stuffed with catalogs and other advertising materials. I pay to see a movie and am treated to a slide show of dozens of local business advertisements before the film begins. I pay for cable television, yet many of these channels have advertising -- indeed the cable company inserts some advertising into some of the channels.

And so on.

5. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA

Advertisements

My kids used to try to use the "everyone else is doing it so why not me?" argument too. It didn't make sense either.........

6. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Quite a different situation. Your kids were trying to get your to overrule a dictate you put in place for their benefit, not yours. In this case, the poster is trying to get TiVo to overrule a dictate they put in place for their own benefit, to get them to do something which is not to their benefit. In other words, in this case, in your analogy, the poster is in the position of your kids.

7. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Uhhhh___

8. Luke M

Luke M Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Why do some people feel the need to defend Tivo? It's like they are cult members or something.

If Tivo gets the idea that we are all nutty cultists who will accept anything without complaining, who knows what will be next?

9. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I guess what will be next is.... no Tivo. Surely, everyone should understand that in order for Tivo to stay in business that subscriptions and advertisements ARE a necessary evil.

Pick your poison: No Tivo or Tivo with some advertisements

However, I do think that Lifetime units should be subjected to less advertising.

10. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Because of all my computer based devices, TiVo has, over the 8 years I've owned it, been the most reliable, easiest to use, and perhaps one of the most influencing electronic factors in my leisure life. 99% of the time it just works. It gives me the freedom to watch what I want when I want, rather than scheduling around TV.

Are there issues, yes, but quite frankly, not one of them comes close to outweighing the benefits of having TiVo in my life. And if a few ads that show up on the bottom of the menu screen, or hidden away behind other menus, but also help subsidize a company that provides service to me, I can live with that.

My question is, "Why are there so many naysayers in this world?" I really find that some people see nothing but negatives. You'ld be a lot happier if you saw the positives around you.

11. visionary

visionary HAVE BRAIN WILL USE!

May 31, 2006
    Norfolk Va.
    Hey, what ever happened to the Tivo going to replace old ads in TV shows with new ones? Did it happen? The scare at the time was you may not be able to skip over those and I remember saying at election time we may have 5 minutes of political ads in EVERY show you can't skip, now THAT would be annoying! What Tivo does now, no problem at all, and I hope they make money and stay around. But are any ads being replaced? Anyone see an ad in a show that had to be newer than when show was recorded yet?

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    And Tivo's history of not making a profit is a big deal, so if less advertising means they have fewer funds coming in, that would be bad.

Tivo with advertising = not great
    No Tivo because they went belly up = a lot worse.

That tempers the discussion for a lot of us as long as the ads stay in the unobtrusive section of my activities. The only ad that has come close to annoying me is the category that pop up while I'm in FF mode..and those are very sparse so far (I think they understand how seriously that intrudes into the viewing)

Diane

13. Luke M

Luke M Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Well, all the best people are "negative" in that sense; they are positive about what can be, which necessarily means being critical about what is. Inventors are positive people. Defenders of the status quo are negative people.

14. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    this thread is so ridiculous as to have moved to the absurd.

ReplayTV for 20$ a year will now compete with TiVo or cable/sat company DVRs....... :p

Media Center will compete on digital cable HD content... yah, for like 2,000$ dollars :p

Move to cable company/sat DVRs becasue they have less ads :p

so this is no cult just saying TiVo can do no bad, just some realists who know that advertising is part of the American Business landscape

15. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It is because people are attacking TiVo for doing something that:
    • TiVo has done all along.
    • Is in the Terms Of Service you agreed to when you subscribe to the service.
    • Is not all that intrusive
    • Most very other pay service is doing.
    While a large proportion of the users here at TCF may be nutty cultists, we are a minority of their user base they are concerned for. Their user base is the general public for the most part.

16. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Agreed. Plus I’d wager a number of folks here have tried those other solutions and found them wanting. I know I have. :thumbsdown:

+1 :up:

There are rarely more than a 1,000 people using the TCF during peak hours and some are in forums having nothing to do with TiVo. I’m not sure of the total users, but maybe a few thousand with possibly a few hundred actively posting? IIRC TiVo's subscription base is well over 4,000,000 now. Although we're enthusiasts and tend to think in the majority somehow, we're a drop in the proverbial bucket of TiVo owners.

If there were massive unrest in the world about the insignificant ads TiVo runs a lot more than the dozen or so people complaining about it would find there way here...IMHO.

BTW, I actually enjoyed the Jaguar ad…but now my wife wants one. :rolleyes:

17. pilotbob

pilotbob New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Florida
    FYI: You took what I said out of context! Let's be responsible if we are going to call other's posts rediculous.

BOb

18. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Why do some people feel the need to attack people who simply disagree with them? :rolleyes:

The reality is that I've attacked TiVo when they actually deserved it. I had a long-standing Closed Captioning issue (which was finally resolved) and I wasn't shy about criticizing TiVo explicitly for failing to live up to a moral obligation to ensure their product works for the hearing impaired. I also had a major problem getting CableCards to work, and I believe I was the first person on TCF to explicitly label TiVo's handling of CableCards as lacking "robustness".

Yet I still disagree with your anti-TiVo perspective in this thread. That's because I consider myself fair and balanced, and will criticize TiVo when they are wrong, and defend them when they are right.

If you only criticize TiVo, then perhaps it is you who are affected by some sort of cult! :D:D

19. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Uhhh, that was already tried.
    Replay started out as a direct competitor to TiVo with their own standalone boxes.

They didnt sell that well despite the product line being sold to new owners.
    The current owners (Denon/DNNA) scrapped the standalone boxes and retooled the software to run on pcs.
    It current only runs on Windows XP and requires either a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 (model 1045) or Hauppauge WinTV-PVR USB2 (model 941).

They have a USB HD tuner coming out this month but my understanding is that it won't do QAM, just OTA ATSC.

So where did you see that someone will by building Replay based units?

20. psyton

psyton New Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Uh, no they haven't. You've been around long enough to remember when the first ads hit. I have had Tivo long enough to remember when they added it, and have dipped a toe or two into the advertising affray over the years. Compare today's amount of advertising to the beginning, and even you have to admit the advertising has increased substantially. Therefore, the "slippery slope" argument came to pass - its just too bad that too many decided any amount of advertising that Tivo can do is justified, as long as it helps them stay in business. Meanwhile, others like myself contend the way for Tivo to turn a profit is to perhaps let some of those countless VPs go, cut expenses the old fashioned way, stop the lame marketing gimics and get a professional marketeer in charge of that dept., stop acting like one of those late 1990's dot com IPOs that never turned a profit and either had a business model of a buyout by some larger firm who knew how to succeed or whose model was doomed to failure from the beginning, and stop diluting the stock by dumping more onto the market every time they need to fund their company further because management just can't seem to figure out how to turn profitable. You know, generally operate like a sound business.
    No, not in the original TOS when I bought my box, because ads didn't come until later (see #1)
    Your opinion; I disagree. You know what they say about opinions, so try not to enter opinions into the discussion, because yours doesn't hold any more weight than mine.
    I can think of many who are profitable without relying on the advertising model. However, I do hope you'll be just as happy and forgiving when targeted advertising starts hitting your cell phone - its coming, be prepared. Walk by a Mickey D's and get an ad on your phone. Many of the same arguments voiced by the ad supporters can be applied to that business model as well, and once all the providers are doing it, you'll have nowhere to hide.
    That isn't the way I remember it. I recall what caused Replay's demise was that they insisted on the auto-commercial skip and that all too infamous network sharing model, which didn't go over too well with the media overlords. Up until the point where they were going to be sued out of virtual existence, they proved to be a worthy adversary to Tivo. Now they're a software only model, which doesn't stand a chance against a CE device.