TiVo spam messages on new Premiere Elite

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Amnesia, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I activated a new Premiere Elite unit (my third TiVo) a couple of weeks ago and every few days I have a new message from TiVo in "Settings and Messages".

These messages tell me about features of my TiVo---like how suggestions work, or how to control my TV volume with the TiVo remote....I know this stuff.

I tried chatting with TiVo CS via their web site and the rep said that there's no way to stop the messages (!).

Anyone know how long I'll have to put up with them?

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Just delete them.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    A week for sure, maybe two at the most. I don't remember. It's been a while since I've gotten a new Tivo.

4. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Yes, of course. That's what I do with unsolicited email too. I'm simply asking if anyone knows how long I'll have to put up with it...

5. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Until they're done. Just relax and enjoy your Tivo.

6. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Gee, thanks.

7. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    They only send a few over the first few weeks.

8. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    It's been two weeks and I'm sure I've gotten at least one every other day...

9. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I'm supposing it has been a while since you have had a "new" tivo. These helpful messages have appears on units since at least the dual tuner S2, and will cease shortly. Instead, there will be hints from time to time in the banner area, which you can reduce the frequency of yourself (but not eliminate).

10. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Yes.
    I don't find them helpful at all. In fact, they're the opposite of helpful, since I'm used to the messages being used for important information, such as lineup changes. Instead, I'm having to open and delete these messages filled with "hints" that I already know.

It doesn't seem like too much to ask for TiVo to provide a way to stop these messages---in fact, I would have been satisfied if when I called up customer service, they could tell me how long the messages would last.

Unfortunately, that was not the case.

11. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    In over ten years, I've never received an important message from TiVo.

12. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    No lineup changes? No channels being moved or anything like that? IMO, that's what the messages should be used for...

13. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Helpful was meant to be humorous. It may be helpful to a newbie, but certainly not to anyone on this board with nearly 8000 posts! You will continue to get helpful tips in the banner bar (same humor- unnecessary for you, but perhaps helpful to a new user)

That being said, the fact that they are automatic, and would take development to selectively dish out, I think TiVo has better things to do. Education to the last common denominator is not a big deal, simply ignore them and in a few days your pain should be over.

14. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    I think you get 5 or 6 of them total. Just delete them and move on.

15. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I said "Important"