TiVo solution for non Tivo TV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Tburk, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Tburk

Tburk New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I've got 2 HD Premier's and just got a new TV for an entertain room for kiddos. Any way to get my TiVo content from Living Room/Bedroom to Entertain room. I was thinking a great device would be a TiVo "lite" that could stream content from other TiVo units or archived files on computer, but not have all the bells and whistles of a full TiVo box.

I'm guessing TiVo is not keen on this type of option. My series 2 is *broken* :mad: too.

2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    It's coming....possibly to cable customers who use Tivo. They have not released any info on a retail version. My guess is that with the subscription price being as high as it will be, you will be better off just buying a new Tivo.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    S2 is good enough for the kids, let's not let them get too spoiled.:)

Plus it's lifetimed, so no extra expense, which is good news for anyone with kids.:D

So, let's fix the S2.

Exactly what's wrong with it, as best you can tell?

4. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Fixing the S2 would be good in any case but keep in mind that it can only accept transfers of SD recordings so your Premiere HD recordings wouldn't work on it.

5. Tburk

Tburk New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Houston, TX
    The S2 suddenly began to shut down and restart automatically over and over. Not sure what the problem was/is. Talked with TiVo support for a couple of hours and they didn't have a solution. My guess is the CPU/Motherboard is going out. Haven't tried to sell it or fix it yet, just collecting dust.

Transferring shows from the S2 to my 1st Premier was pretty frustrating since HD shows don't transfer & most shows on Premier are HD. :thumbsdown:

I looked into slingbox (my wife thought that would be a good solution), but as far as I can tell it only will *sling* content to my computer(s) and any mobile device (iPhone, iPad, Fire, etc). :eek:

TB

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I forgot to ask, what's the model number of the S2?

Should start with TCD and it'll be on the sticker on the back where the power cord plugs in.

7. Tburk

Tburk New Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Have to get back to you tonight on my S2.

8. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Do you mind sharing one TiVo between two TV's?

I have a TiVo in my media room that supports both the media room projector and a TV in the game room. I ran HDMI over two CAT5e lines along with wired remote extender - using something similar to this.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Exten...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324395316&sr=1-2

If you cannot run the wires there are several wireless options - (I have never tried them.)

http://www.amazon.com/RF-Link-AVS-5...8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324395502&sr=1-8

If you do not care about HD quality you can use a cheap RF modulator over Coax cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8V306...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324395591&sr=1-2

9. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You might be able to transfer shows recorded in HD to the S2 if you use pyTiVo/kmttg to transfer them through your computer. It would probably take a while for the two transfers and the transcode but it should be doable.

10. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You could pick up a low end HTPC like this one for under $300:

and set it up to stream from the Internet and your other TiVos.

Good Luck,

11. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
  12. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    $300 does seem to be the going rate for a Series 3 model HD TiVo with lifetime on ebay. Looks like you can get a Series 2 for around $100...

This is exactly why I do not understand why people opt for any other subscription model... An unsubbed S3 goes for about $50 - so this really shows the long term value of the lifetime service.

13. timatkn

timatkn New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Well you could use an Apple TV and transfer shows from your other TIVOs using ITIVO into Itunes and then stream those shows from the itunes to the Apple TV connected to your non-TIVO TV. Apple TV is $99 or less no subscription, comes wireless ready out of the box or you can hard wire it.

The only issue is it can take a while to convert files from your TIVO to itunes. I know a half hour show can take anywhere form 10-20' to transfer from my Premiere and convert to itunes. But once transferred you could stream anytime you wanted to your Apple TV.

You would also have access to Netflix and youtube on the TV connected to the Apple TV.

T

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Do you mean the original OLED S3? I haven't seen any that low.. I (think) I need a power supply, and a PS is about $50.. so I might as well buy a whole OLED S3 if I can get one at that price.

15. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    You will see them on eBay listed for all kinds of inflated reserves and buy it now prices. I think people are hoping to confuse the uneducated into thinking it has some service with it...

If you look at the S3 OLED's that actually have bids - $50 is about what they get.

Actually, an HD model is a better deal, because it only needs one cable card.

I have three units all with lifetime, and it might be time to eBay the OLED S3 for a Premier upgrade. I still have the box in the attic!