TiVo Software Update 14.9.2.2 ISSUES

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by JACKASTOR, Jan 4, 2012.

1. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    There seems to be a lot of random issues with this latest release. I have had several problems, my 2tb wd hdd stopped working correctly causing my tivo to spontaneously reboot and hang, I had n33 error, I had random lockups.

I managed to resolve all that by swaping back my tivo main drive and things seem to have stabilized, I have tested the wd and its perfect working no problems... So I suspect that Tivo have somehow cuased hw issues with this latest release and feel thats the main reason we have so many random issues.

Has anyone else expericanced similiar issue and if so I am curious if your hdd is original or upgraded..

Any and all thoughts are greatly encouraged..

additional information:Just checked my drive and its actually a seagate drive and for the last 8 months I thought it was WD dont know why I thought that it was a WD. At any rate My drive is a 2tb Wd. Any thoughts?

regards

jack

2. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    I had the same issue with my Premiere's upgraded 2TB WD20EARS apparently becoming scrambled within 24 hours of getting 14.9.2.2. Like you, I popped it out, popped in the original drive, and everything was fine. Tested the 2TB with WD extended diagnostics and the drive checked out fine, so I re-imaged with the original, popped the 2TB back in, and voila, no problems.

It seems pretty clear that something is up with 14.9.2.2. At least in my case, I can revert to a fresh disk image from the original disk. For folks who have only the original disk and it "fails", they can only pursue the standard disk failure remedies such as an RMA and a replacement unit. I only hope that the RMA'd boxes are being carefully diagnosed by TiVo for the cause of the failures.

I've been running over a week now and, knock on wood, no problems so far. I do think it is probable that the issue will recur.

3. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I have 3 TPs with the 2Tb WD drives and no problems with the 14.9.2.2 upgrade, so it does not effect some people with upgraded WD drives. I did turn the time delay power saving feature off on all my WD drives.

4. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    I don't really think the upgraded drives are the issue at all. There are several posts on this forum of people with the stock drive that failed after the 14.9.2.2 upgrade as well. One can only conjecture at how many others have not even been heard from here but just go ahead and RMA or pay for a repair.

I don't mean to suggest that everyone is experiencing the issue. I'm confident that TiVo wouldn't have pushed out the release if that were the case!

However, as is frequently the case with bugs of this nature, while they may be difficult to repo, that doesn't mean they don't exist.

BTW, I also used wdidle to turn off the power saving feature.

5. Bob Yale

Bob Yale New Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Since the update the N33 errors started, infrequently at first, but over the past week they have increased in frequency until they now appear 90% of the time. This causes the service to be unusable. Shows dont always record. Constant lock ups. Navigating through the menus is extremely sluggish and completely freezes up after 3 or 4 clicks on the remote. When it freezes it takes several minutes to recover allowing a few more clicks until it locks up again.

I moved the antenna around but no luck. I tried forcing a connection, still nothing. I rebooted the unit and it comes back with the top banner, but after a few minutes it goes back to N33! Now I put the Apple Express unit 3 feet away, but the issue persists. Nothing is different with the unit (hard drive and WD external drive) except for the 14.9.2.2 upgrade. All other network connected components work fine.

I have a rather large gathering coming here to watch the Super Bowl... Hope to have this figured out by then. Any ideas? Anybody sending their units back to TiVo? :mad:

Thanks for your help.

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The current N33 started tonight and is happening to everyone. I would wait until TiVo fixes which should hopefully be soon.

7. skeevee

skeevee New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Yup, I have the same issues. Unbelievable. They updated my TiVo software and there was also an update of the TiVo app on iOS, and now I'm dead in the water.

I get the N33 error on the TiVo, and the iPad app doesn't work anymore.

WTH TiVo? I had a perfectly working environment and loved my iPad app and my TiVo, now it's dead. What the hell did you do??????

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    There servers are down right now. I doubt it has anything to do with updates to any of their apps or the TiVo software.

9. wikiwiki2004

wikiwiki2004 New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    I blame Urkel!