Tivo Software Setup in Canada

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Lanisatu, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Lanisatu

Lanisatu New Member

Aug 11, 2007

Advertisements

I've recently acquired an older Tivo (a series 1, I'm guessing). It's made by Phillips and has about 9 hours of recording time.

The Tivo has lifetime service.

I'm trying to set it up at home, in southern York Region. Changing the phone number to dial was relatively simple, but trying to change the information about the cable provider and getting the correct channel list is turning out to be more difficult.

I've restarted the guided setup, and was temporarily stuck at zip code, but then I found a thread on the Tivo website (which was not that easy to find) that I should enter "00000" and select "tinytivo" after that.

I'm stuck about what to do from here. The channel information it has received is completely incorrect for my area (incorrect channel identification and incorrect guide info). It also doesn't actually include all the channels I receive (it only picked up two channels for the list and guide). What I've read on the Tivo forums thus far indicates that you need to hack a series 1 Tivo for it to work in Canada.

Where can I find information about how to get the proper channel list and TV listings for my area? Is there an official way to do it, or do I need to find a hack?

I tried searching this forum too, but too many irrelevant results showed up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. blazer21

blazer21 New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Canadian residents will be given special instructions to follow when activating service. Please look for the link "Instructions for Canadian residents," under Step 2 during the activation process at tivo

Enter your actual Canadian street address in Field 1 of the Street Address
    Enter your actual Canadian Postal Code in Field 2 of the Street Address
    Enter Leo, WY 82327 in the City, State, and ZIP Code fields

(2). Complete Guided Setup on your TiVo DVR

3. Lanisatu

Lanisatu New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Why would I need to activate the service? The service was activated before I got the box.

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    AFAIK, you need a series 2 Tivo for regular Tivo service in Canada.

5. Lanisatu

Lanisatu New Member

Aug 11, 2007

Advertisements

All I own is the series 1. I can't really get a series 2 right now, so that is not an option.

At the very least, I want the Tivo to have a list of all the channels I can receive, so that I can manually record by time/ channel. With area code 82327, it only goes up to channel 37. I need at least up to channel 55.

If I can't do it the proper way, I would like to know if there is a hack. The service has already been paid for, it would be nice to be able to use it.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    There is a hack, we just can't talk of it. There is two separate hacks actually, one for cable, one for satellite.

7. Lanisatu

Lanisatu New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Currently I'm using cable without a box. I didn't know that it couldn't be discussed on this forum, as I didn't notice anything in the FAQ about that (unless I missed something, that should be added). Thank you for letting me know that.

If anyone has suggestions, they can email me at eminblack.ca@gmail.com
    (I'll remove this e-mail address if the mods prefer)

I've been reading a bit about grandfathered units, and I wonder if mine is one of those. It looks like this. The Tivo was transferred to my brother when he moved, but I don't know if the manual was left behind. My brother gave it to me. The Philips model number on the back says HDR312.

Can anyone tell me if it is a grandfathered unit or how I would find out if it is? If it is, I will just do the manual record by time/ channel until I can afford a series 2 and then transfer the service to the new box. For now, I'm going to change the zip code again, so that it will "see" more channels.

8. blazer21

blazer21 New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    To find out if your unit qualifies for the "GRANDFATHER PROGRAM" you'll have to call tivo and give then your tivo service # on the back of the unit. If I remember correctly it qualifies if "LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTION" was activated on the unit before JAN 20, 2000. I have three that qualifies for the program and their "LIFETIME SUB" was activated in NOV 1999.

9. Lanisatu

Lanisatu New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Ok, thanks. I'll call them.

10. TeeVee

TeeVee New Member

Dec 30, 2004
    As far as I'm aware, unless you hack your Tivo you can't use it in Canada like a Series 2 Tivo. You need Software 7.2 on your Tivo for Canada to be recognized to download program guide. Not familiar with the hacks out there but I'm sure it will take some work and possibly manually updating guide every so often to keep a Series 1 up and running. Correct me someone if I'm wrong.

11. faston

faston New Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Vancouver,...
    The Series 1 will now recognize Canadian Postal Codes and give perfect data for your provider. The only problem is, it doesn't have a proper entry box for said postal code. You need to telnet into it and give your postal code to it at the linux level. So yes, you do need to hack it in order to be able to telnet into it.

Wow...look at my join date and my number of posts!!!!

12. Lanisatu

Lanisatu New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    I just talked to Tivo, and had the box transferred to my name. They said it's not grandfathered, so I can't transfer the service to another box. They also said that I'd need 7.2 for it to work properly in Canada.

So... I guess I'll continue with the manual record until I can afford a series 2. Of course, getting the proper data would be nice, until I can afford a series 2 and service. But from what I've been reading, I'm not sure I'd want to attempt hacking as it appears complex and I don't want to interfere with the hardware.

At least I have some answers now.

Thanks, faston, for pointing me in the right direction.