tivo sluggish aspect ratio change

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by mikeyp, Sep 12, 2007.

1. mikeyp

mikeyp New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Is there any reason why my tivo is so sluggish changing the aspect ratio on my tv when it is supposed to? If I bypass the tivo with the aux button it happens instantly that the broadcast changes, normal tivo use it waits 10 - 15 seconds before changing when using the tivo.

Is this normal? Mine's always done it, it's just irritating.

2. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Yes it is normal and has been like this since 2.5.5x software several years ago :(

Automan.

3. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Same here. Have to just live with it I'm afraid :) In fact, sometimes when I do change between the two, the Tivo will turn back to the wrong aspect ratio before changing to the correct one. It's really bizarre, and most annoying :(

4. mikeyp

mikeyp New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Ah okay, fair enough. Shame they broke it in the final release. I guess because it did sort of work it wasn't a crucial thing to fix. Good to know I'm not alone and it's normal though.

5. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    It takes a few seconds but not 15, at least with my TV.

6. mikeyp

mikeyp New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Depends what I do... channel changes or when it goes to ads is the worst. Going to the Tivo menus seems quicker.

7. Pugwash

Pugwash New Member

May 23, 2003
    Spalding'ish
    Not noticed the problem since I went from Sky to Freeview. Are freeview ads all widescreen?

8. mikeyp

mikeyp New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    depends on the channel and what's being broadcast. I've had it both on freeview and cable. I've never had sky - I detest anything murdock related and would rather my money didn't end up in their pockets.

9. mrtickle

mrtickle Active Member

Aug 26, 2001
    Birmingham, UK
    It was broken in every beta build, not just the final release! Fred complained bitterly at the time (5 1/2 years ago now - how time flies!). It happens because in the 1.5.2 software the aspect ratio was checked for every frame. In the redesigned 2.5.5 software it's checked once per GOP (group of pictures). Hence the delay. If broadcasters are using very long GOPs which these days they are wont to do :( , then it's a long time before the next aspect ratio check.

Fred also proved the quick change-ratio-then-back problem at the time using a multimeter on pin8 of the scart cable. That bug happens with the SCART output only - line23 WSS switching which Tivo also uses in parallel isn't affected.

10. mrtickle

mrtickle Active Member

Aug 26, 2001
    Birmingham, UK
    All adverts have been widescreen since C-Day , long before many programmes. The advertisers had enough sense to go for a "big bang". (Seven years later we've still got UK Gold showing 14:9 programmes.)