1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Slide Remote keyboard no longer works after software update

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by omelet1978, Sep 15, 2017.

1. omelet1978

omelet1978 Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Hi,

I have a Tivo Slide Remote and a Tivo Mini. Apparently there was a software update and the keyboard no longer works. However everything else on the remote does including the button that plays a sound on the remote in case it you lose it.

I've tried restarting the Tivo Mini a few times as well as pressing the Tivo Button and the Red C button as well. Any advice?

Thanks

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Just as a data point, my Slide Pro remote keyboard continues to work with my main TiVo box (I don't have a Mini to check with). Could there be a physical issue with your remote? Also, you might try new batteries.

3. adam3914

adam3914 New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    My tivo slide with Bluetooth stopped working on my mini, and my tvio slide rf stopped working on my roamio with the USB dongle after the software update. They definitely changed something with the remotes.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    If you have a TiVo Slide Pro Remote (RF), you don't need a USB dongle with the Roamio?

Scott

5. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Correct.

6. adam3914

adam3914 New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    That is true, but the tivo is in a cabinet and far away so the rf signal is not consistent. So I added a USB dongle that extends outside the cabinet and the remotes worked great, until the software update.

7. wiseone

wiseone New Member

Aug 2, 2011
    same thing happened to me, I had to go buy a new slide pro remote with dongle which worked. $$ down the drain for NO reason.

8. wiseone

wiseone New Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Plex missing for me too, multiple reboots won't bring it back. No idea what Tivo is doing. Bad update? maybe i'll try reset.

9. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Same thing happened to me. Older slide remote on v1 mini.

10. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    So, I had four minis on my account. 3 of them had the old slide RF remote with the USB plug that looks like a small thumb drive. Since the update, ZERO of the slide remotes work any longer. The brand new type slide remote I just had to buy works. Obviously Tivo killed functionality with the old slide remote. Thanks again, Tivo.

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I have a Slide Pro remote which generally has been working well, and then, with the last 1-2 weeks, commands will freeze on it every now-and-again; very odd, as no issue like that until then. An easy solution has been to quickly slide the keyboard partly open and then closed again--fixes the issue every time, in just a few seconds. But still wish that the issue wasn't there.

ClearToLand likes this.
  12. adam3914

adam3914 New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    People should contact tivo about this issue. I contacted them via email and I got this response.

Please do try dialing 877-367-8486 so that we can further diagnose this issue since this is the first issue we received through the remote functionalities for the software update.

Contact Us

Mikeguy likes this.
  13. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes. Call them. It took two hours on the phone but the agreed to replace my old style slide remotes with new slide remote pro units. They acknowledged that the update killed the ability to use the old style. I’m still out the $65 I spent to replace the first one.

Mikeguy likes this.
  14. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Oh, and yes- as usual it’s always the “first” time the issue was reported. They always say that. I don’t know if they simply have the worst knowledge management system ever designed or if it’s just their policy to lie. Or both.

ClearToLand likes this.
  15. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Interesting: both my original slide remote and my Slide Pro remote still generally work (on a Bolt; although the Slide Pro remote with a sometimes "tic" recently). This must be somewhat box specific?

16. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I think they are all referring to the older Bluetooth dongle ones.

Scott

17. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Correct.

18. news4me2

news4me2 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Woke up this morning to find that the Slide Remote (with USB Dongle) on my Roamio Plus was not working in RF Mode. Tried numerous troubleshooting steps to get it to work (with and without dongle) but was only able to get it to revert to IR Mode. So, I called TiVo Support and they replaced it with a free C00270 Remote.

Mikeguy likes this.
  19. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Weird, I got the update and my old BT Slide still works on the Roamio. I don't use these on the Minis though.

20. eric102

eric102 Member

Oct 31, 2012
    I have 5 slide pro remotes, 2 are on Roamio's and 3 on version 1 mini's with the RF dongles, all the keyboards are working fine and always have.

I tried one of my old BT slides in a mini and it worked fine, software version 20.7.2.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017 at 12:06 AM