TiVo Slide Remote: Backlight Sensor Broken?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by THE Frozo, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1 of 11
    THE Frozo

THE Frozo New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Just got the TiVo Slide Remote now that the price went down (best remote yet IMO).

From what I understand, there is a sensor that tells when the lights go out, which then automatically turns on the backlight. The only time the backlight goes on for me is when I either press a button or slide open the remote.

I tried holding the TiVo Button + Thumbs Up until the status light flashes three times. According to the instructions, this should turn on the feature (using Thumbs Down turns it off). However, there's no change.

Is my sensor broken? Or am I missing something here?

2. Feb 2, 2012 #2 of 11
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    It sounds like it's working fine. The backlight won't turn on by itself in a dark room, only when you press a button (in a dark room).

Take it into a bright room and press a button and if the light sensor is working, the backlight won't come on.

3. Feb 3, 2012 #3 of 11
    THE Frozo

THE Frozo New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Ok, thanks for clarifying. I was mainly confused because the box said something to the effect of "backlit keypad so you don't have to search for your remote in the dark". That would imply to me that it would just stay on in the dark (granted, it would be a battery killer).

4. Feb 3, 2012 #4 of 11
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yep- if it were on all the time, the batteries would last a few days instead of a few years. But you are not crazy- I remember reading the same thing on the box thinking "That has to be an error, because it can't possibly be on all the time. Perhaps if I already FOUND the remote, I can then see the keys. Yep, stupid marketing error."

5. Feb 4, 2012 #5 of 11
    windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Of course this might have changed, but I found a picture of the back of the box here:

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2010-08/tivo-slide-qwerty-remote/

It says:

"Easy to use in a dark room: light sensor automatically activates glow feature on backlit keys and keyboard, so you never have to turn on a light."

I don't see anything about "finding" it in a dark room. ;)

6. Feb 4, 2012 #6 of 11
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    You are correct on both (I just looked at my box).

But I think some people could construe that "light sensor automatically activates glow feature" means without touching it. And you would have to turn on a light to find the remote, if you didn't know where it was :) Plus, I think even more confusing wording was used on TiVo's website at one point (at least, that is my vague memory of it). Just some semantics.

7. Feb 6, 2012 #7 of 11
    jonhoffm

jonhoffm New Member

May 7, 2008
    As stated above, the Slide only lights up after a button is pressed, which is not quite as useful as it could be since pressing almost any key other than 'play' has an impact on what you are watching - not a big deal and I still really like the remote. I had a Logitech Harmony One which sensed nearby motion and would light up before a button was pressed. It was really sweet until one of my kids did it in. It would be great if this could be added to the Slide.

It would also be great if you could navigate the NPL with the keypad so you would not have to page down to get to the show you want.

8. fdawg2k3

fdawg2k3 New Member

May 18, 2004
    The original poster is correct -the backlighting is supposed to turn off when the remote is picked up or moved in a dark room. It doesn't stay on nonstop, it to text movements and the light in the room and activates the light without having to press a button.

I know this because I've had one since they first came out. I also got a second one for our second TiVo from Amazon when they went on sale and it is experiencing the same problem as you guys are describing. I can hold them side-by-side and have a different reaction for each; my old one lights up just when I pick it up while the new one requires me to push a button.

So it looks like the newer models shipped without a working light sensor.

9. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Maybe your old one has a wiring fault or something? Because I've had the Glo and Slide remotes in both of their first incarnations and they've never done that. I'm pretty sure there's no motion sensor in the remotes that would turn on the backlight when you pick it up. It's only after you press a button.

10. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I had one of the first ones out and it has always worked perfectly. There is no motion sensor in the Slide Remote- never has been (to my knowledge). If the room is dark, the backlighting will turn on only when a button is pressed or the keyboard slid open. It will then turn off after a delay.

Having a motion sensor would have been a great idea, however.

11. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    a reliable motion sensor would be nice.

I had a string of harmony 880/890's over the years and they had the motion sensor (actually is just a metal ball bearing that bounces in a plastic cage to make contact with different points). I guess putting a accelerometer and associated circuitry and software is a bit expensive still so the ball bearing or mercury switches of something else cheap is probably all we could expect in remote.

Honestly I have found with the Tivo remote that pushing the slide open a bit with my thumb and letting it flip back is just as fast as shaking the harmony remote to "wake" it up. (at first I'd try for the clear key but if you have it upside down in the dark that you wind up hitting live tv and jumping around the UI in a bad way).

Of course when my slide stops working in a year you'll probably hear me complain- lol. But since the Amazon price of a tivo slide rf remote is literally one tenth of the cost of a new harmony 890 rf remote I'll suck it up and keep using my trick and just buy another when it dies.

In the end I'd prefer the fancy cell phone like accelerometer but plenty of times I find myself shaking my phone or tablet to get it to understand what orientation I'm in so I guess there's not a good option for cheap at the moment.

Hopefully V2 of the bluetooth remote can get a reliable motion sensor.