Tivo Slide Pro Remote paired with RF dongle but not working

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Redbird19, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Redbird19

Redbird19 New Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I have a Tivo Bolt (downstairs) and a Tivo Mini (upstairs) with a Tivo Slide Remote for each.

For a while, everything was working great. Then about a month ago, the upstairs Tivo Mini locked-up/froze while trying to access Netflix, forcing me to unplug it and re-plug it in to force it to restart. After that, the Slide remote no longer worked. I've tried anything and everything I could think of, replaced batteries, followed instructions for re-pairing, resetting the remote to factory defaults, re-pairing, rebooting the Mini, etc. Nothing worked. I've gotten it to where the remote appeared to be pair correctly with the RF dongle (i.e. pushing a button on the remote causes the led light to flash yellow, and the RF dongle flashes green at the same time), but there's no response from the Mini. If I unplug the RF dongle from the Mini, then pressing a button on the remote causes the led light to flash red (meaning it's in IR mode), and the Mini responds, but of course the Slide remote's keyboard doesn't work. After attempting to re-pair/reset the remote so many times, I've now somehow got it to where pressing a button on the Slide remote causes the led to flash yellow, but instead of the RF dongle just flashing green, it lights up and stays solid green....which is a behavior I haven't seen before.

Our downstairs Slide remote with the Bolt never had any issues, but yesterday morning I came downstairs and attempted to use it, only to find that it no longer works. The problem appears to be the same issue as the other remote has with the upstairs Mini. But the Bolt never had to be restarted, and never locked-up/froze, so I don't know what the cause of that was. But now it too can pair with the RF dongle as pressing a button causes the remote's led to flash yellow, and the RF dongle to flash green, but the Bolt just doesn't respond.

I don't know why this suddenly started happening, but needless to say I need help. Why doesn't the Bolt or Mini respond? Any ideas?

2. Redbird19

Redbird19 New Member

Mar 17, 2017
    UPDATE:

I solved the issue for both my upstairs Mini and my downstairs Bolt. I'm not sure why, but it appears that the Slide Pro remote's RF dongle is no longer required for either the Mini or the Bolt, and in fact was causing things to not function properly. I unplugged the RF dongle from the Mini upstairs, and paired it by going into the Settings->Remote Pairing, and bam, now the remote works in RF mode, even the keyboard works.

I did the same thing downstairs with the Bolt, and now the Slide Pro remote downstairs is working (fyi, I might have had to try this multiple times before this worked).

Very strange, my suspicion is that Tivo released a software or firmware update to the Bolt and Mini that enabled both to communicate with the Slide Pro remote natively without the need of the RF dongle. And the fact that I was using RF dongles just sort of gummed up things.

Anyhoo, things work perfect now!

Hopefully this thread will be useful to others who had a similar problem.

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The Bolt and Mini v2 should never have required an RF dongle to use the Slide Pro remote (neither does our Roamio Pro).

Scott

4. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    This is the Premiere forum. Premieres and V1 Minis require a dongle to support RF mode, but (as was noted post #3 above) Roamios, Bolts and V2 Minis never required a dongle. Perhaps OP previously owned a Premiere and got the idea from that experience that a dongle was required.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    That was my guess as well given where it was posted.

Scott