TiVo Slide Pro Backlight Issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mr_milo, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Feb 4, 2018 #1 of 20
    mr_milo

mr_milo Member

Jan 22, 2018
    S.F. Bay Area
    Hoping I could get some help with a issue I am having with the backlight on a Slide Pro remote.

I purchased a used remote and it seems to be working fine other than the backlight. In a darkened room the backlight comes on every you open the keyboard but it doesn’t come on when you press a button. You can push a bunch of buttons before the backlight comes on, even then it seems really random.

I have tried to reset the remote, turn off and on the backlight and nothing seems to help. Anything else I could do? Or did I get a dud?

Sliding open the keyboard every time to get the backlight seems like a great way to kill the remote.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Feb 4, 2018 #2 of 20
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The backlight in our Slide Pro Remote only comes on when it's dark (or some level of dimness) and it acts the same whether pressing a button or sliding the keyboard open. If it's light enough it doesn't come on in either case.

Scott

mr_milo likes this.
  3. Feb 5, 2018 #3 of 20
    mr_milo

mr_milo Member

Jan 22, 2018
    S.F. Bay Area
    Thanks! That’s how I thought it should work but this one definitely doesn’t act the same with button pushes as it does opening the keyboard.

I had read about how some remotes are more sensitive to light than others but I don’t think that is my problem since the backlight works fine opening the keyboard. However in the same lighting / conditions the buttons simply don’t activate the backlight, then it will randomly come on while using the remote. The weird part is that once the backlight does come on it will stay on while using the remote, and then fade out about 8-10 seconds after the last press.

Not sure if this is fixable or if I’m going to need to send it back.

4. Feb 8, 2018 #4 of 20
    mr_milo

mr_milo Member

Jan 22, 2018
    S.F. Bay Area
    Can you tell me what Tivo unit you are using it on? I am beginning to wonder if using it with my Roamio Plus without the dongle could have anything to do with it. I tried using it with the dongle and it seems to pair with the dongle fine but the remote doesn't function at all then on the Roamio Plus.

5. Feb 8, 2018 #5 of 20
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    My guess is, the unit is defective--I would send it back (or, contact TiVo for a warranty replacement?). I use a dongle-less Slide Pro remote with both a Roamio and a Bolt and it lights up with a button press or the opening of the keyboard, the only caveat being, as mentioned above, the light in the room--the remote only lights up when the room is dark/darker.

mr_milo likes this.
  6. Feb 8, 2018 #6 of 20
    mr_milo

mr_milo Member

Jan 22, 2018
    S.F. Bay Area
    Great! Thanks for the confirmation. I'll have to contact the seller and see what I can do.

7. Feb 8, 2018 #7 of 20
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    If you got a good deal and the seller has and can send you the receipt, and the product still is within the warranty period, you might want to think about a warranty replacement through TiVo (but with the seller still on the hook if that doesn't work out)--very easy to do.

8. Feb 8, 2018 #8 of 20
    mr_milo

mr_milo Member

Jan 22, 2018
    S.F. Bay Area
    Thanks for the tip. I have tried contacting the seller twice now but haven’t heard back. I’m hoping to work something out but we’ll see if he responds.

It’s really a bummer too since the main reason I bought the slide pro remote is because my wife wanted a backlight remote and it seemed like the best option.

9. Feb 8, 2018 #9 of 20
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    By any chance, did you purchase it through a service like eBay or Amazon Marketplace, where you have purchase protection if the seller never gets back? Some credit cards also provide protection for purchases that go sour.

10. mr_milo

mr_milo Member

Jan 22, 2018
    S.F. Bay Area
    Thanks yes, it was an eBay purchase so I do have protection, but I just hate to go there. I was pretty sure that it wasn’t working correctly, so I posted here just to make sure. I also informed the seller of my posting here and the conclusion I’ve reached. I’ll give him a few more days before I take any action in hopes he responds & we can work something out. To me the backlight was the main reason I purchased it, but who knows he might have never used it or cared. Much rather work something out than have to file a “not as described” claim.

11. billfark

billfark New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    I bought one new from Tivo last week and had the same problem. I think maybe they had a bad batch of remotes or something. I didn't care for the slide keyboard, the feel of the remote, or the defective(?) backlight, so I'm going to return it. I think I just prefer the regular Roamio remote.

-Kevin

12. mr_milo

mr_milo Member

Jan 22, 2018
    S.F. Bay Area
    Had no idea Tivo was selling them still. I could swear I checked and the only place that had them was weaknees.com & them via Amazon. They were $80 there so I chose used.

I finally heard from the seller and he prefer to provide me a heavy discount rather than take the return. If I bought it for the keyboard I would be thrilled but we really just wanted the backlight. He had bought / used it for the keyboard and said he had no idea about the backlight. I guess I could see that and he worked with me so I’m content. I will see if it works for us and if not it might be up for sale, obviously noting the issue with the backlight.

Thanks to all for your help with this issue!

13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Sorry a little late responding, but Roamio Pro with no dongle of course. The backlight function is built into the remote so it should not matter at all what type of TiVo you use it with or how it connects (dongle for older TiVo's or without dongle).

Scott

14. mr_milo

mr_milo Member

Jan 22, 2018
    S.F. Bay Area
    Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate your help. I purchased a second slide pro and am hoping this one works as expected.

15. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Good to hear that you heard back from the seller, and also that you had purchase protection.

I had thought that I would use the Slide Pro's keyboard a lot, but really haven't had the need. Instead, it's been the learning feature with an earlier sound bar component and, as with you, the backlighting--it is helpful and, well, just way cool. :)

Again, you might see if you can get the seller's original receipt and then put in a warranty claim with TiVo, if still within the warranty period. Heck, I would contact TiVo and try even without--TiVo has been known to be generous with the remote, and there seems to be a systemic issue here as to which TiVo hopefully would be sensitive.

16. mr_milo

mr_milo Member

Jan 22, 2018
    S.F. Bay Area
    I did ask the seller about the receipt and warranty info but he didn't have it. :disappointed: Never thought about reaching out to Tivo anyway. Thanks for that thought / tip. I will give it a try. :)

17. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    A call is cheap. And maybe you'll get a sympathetic rep. Be sure to let them know what a great TiVo customer you are, for so many years. :)

18. mr_milo

mr_milo Member

Jan 22, 2018
    S.F. Bay Area
    That last part is going to be tough. We bought a used Roamio Plus with Lifetime about two weeks ago.
    This is really the reason we need a backlit remote. My wife is complaining since she doesn't know the remote and can't see it at night. She said "I like it but the remote doesn't light up!". I simply stated "Neither did the Comcast remote" but that didn't go over well.

19. billfark

billfark New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    In case you get a full refund and want to try a new one direct from TiVo for $49.99:
    https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/tivoslidepro

-Kevin

mr_milo likes this.
  20. mr_milo

mr_milo Member

Jan 22, 2018
    S.F. Bay Area
    Just to update... I was able to get another used slide pro at a good price. Happy to say this one works as expected.
    Not sure if I'm going to keep the first one or list it. Depends on if I can get my Vox remote to power on & off both the TV and Stereo.