Tivo slide keyboard dead?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Newbie, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Feb 8, 2011 #1 of 11

Newbie Member

Jan 19, 2002

Advertisements

The slide out keyboard on my tivo slide stops responding. Not only does the tivo3 HD not respond to the keys, the red LED on the Slide itself does not blink when keys are pressed. All keys on the surface work normally.

I could request a warranty repair but I want to first make sure it's not something simple that I overlook.

2. Feb 8, 2011 #2 of 11
    strejcek

strejcek Member

Mar 15, 2006
    If I'm not mistaken, when the slide is open, the LED actually should be blue, not red, indicating the remote is operating in blue tooth mode. If the slide is not working, remove the dongle, reattach it. If that does not work, try re-pairing the dongle to the remote. While good in concept, I have found the slide remote to be problematic and buggy, at least compared with my Harmony One and the original peanut. I would love it if TiVo would implement text based searching based on the good old fashioned number keys on the remote. The slide would be better suited if one was using the TiVo for web based browsing, but for nothing more than search functions, text based searching would be much easier and more stable.

3. Feb 8, 2011 #3 of 11
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Have you tried new batteries? Or maybe use the extension cable to eliminate any interference? The LED should be blue when using Bluetooth.

4. Feb 8, 2011 #4 of 11
    Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 Tivo Obsessed

Dec 29, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    You may also want to try a reboot.

Robb

5. Feb 8, 2011 #5 of 11
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003

Advertisements

Yeah, the red LED is flashed in infrared mode, which doesn't support keyboard input. Your dongle must've got loose or something. When BlueTooth mode is working, the blue LED is always used (even when the Slide is closed, and even when using the TV-controlling keys, which still send infrared commands -- these produce a double flash of the blue LED).

I strongly disagree with strejcek's other comments about the Slide. It works great for me; it's a thing of beauty. And no, T9-style text entry would not be easier. It would great if they'd add that, for compatibility with older remotes. But to say it would be easier than the Slide's QWERTY is silly.

6. Feb 8, 2011 #6 of 11
    strejcek

strejcek Member

Mar 15, 2006
    I'm glad someone has had good luck with the slides; I've had two of them and I found they were very slow to respond and worked sometimes and not others. It was very frustrating especially when trying to add season passes to type a title only to find it missed a key press and ended up messing up the whole search. As I said earlier, the concept is great, just needs to be improved a lot.

7. Feb 8, 2011 #7 of 11
    Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 Tivo Obsessed

Dec 29, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    Mine has worked great since I got it too. Very responsive for me. The small size is perfect for my hand and the heft just feels good. My only problem is that I put it down and when I pick it back up it is always upside down.

Robb

8. Feb 8, 2011 #8 of 11
    sirfergy

sirfergy Member

May 18, 2002
    Once I've had it "forget" it was a bluetooth remote and pulling the batteries for a while solved the issue.

9. Feb 8, 2011 #9 of 11
    wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    That's not normal at all. Perhaps it's due to interference with the BlueTooth signal?

No, it just didn't work for you. It would be wrong to generalize from that.

10. deandashl

deandashl New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Most problems seem to be people with Premiere's.

11. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    I'm using it with a Premiere.