Tivo Slide alternative to avoid wifi interference?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Newbie, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Newbie

Newbie Member

Jan 19, 2002
    I think my tivo slide suffers from wifi interference. Key presses are sometimes delayed, and sometimes completely ignored. If I turn off my wifi router, the problem is less severe, but not completely cured. I suspect wifi signal from my neighbors (apartment building) also contribute to the problem.

I heard USB keyboard works on tivo (I have a tivo3 hd). However, PC keyboards are just too cumbersome.

Are there tiny wireless keyboards (size of a cellphone or tivo slide) that uses frequency outside of wifi range (2.4Ghz)?

I can also live with a wired keyboard, but it still has to be small

2. Johnwashere

Johnwashere Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Have you tried changing usb ports on for the remote bluetooth adapter? Also try changing your batteries too. I have had no issues with my slide remote and there are lots of wifi spots where I am.

3. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    I was able to fix my problems by

first using the usb cord so the dongle is not behind the tivo
    on wifi router turn off 802.11b (not sure if this is needed)
    fix the router to use channel 11

for me channel 1 was interfering.

4. Newbie

Newbie Member

Jan 19, 2002
    The symtom is this:
    (this time I turned off my wifi router)
    I used the usb extension and put the tivo usb dongle in front of tivo, then I put the tivo slide 2 INCHES away from the usb dongle, but the same problem persists:
    Pressing fast forward or pause takes maybe half a second for Tivo to react (and for the usb dongle to blink). However, once tivo reacted, subsequent key presses have instant reaction. However, after a few seconds passed without pressing any keys, the delayed response comes back again.
    The "delayed response" is ocassionally no response at all. If I turn on my wifi router, it becomes sometimes no response (i.e. more frequent).
    The batteries are new alkaline (tivo says 85% full)
    Removing the batteries for a second and putting them back also remove the delay for a few seconds.
    Is this wifi interference? It does not look like I can solve the problem with the slide, so I still need suggestions for alternative solutions.

5. VOLFAN

VOLFAN Member

Nov 26, 2005
    I just spoke to Tivo CS and was told the slide keyboard is the only portion of the remote that is bluetooth and that exterior commands (FF / RW, Pause, etc.) are still IR. Is this correct?

If so, that explains why my remote will not stop during FF or RW until several button presses. What I can't figure out is why it works fine (briefly) through a cabinet when the Tivo is rebooted or fresh batteries are installed.

He further went on to say that IR is not mentioned anywhere on the packaging, instructions, etc. and only made available to customers when contacting their troubleshooting department. Of course, I'm outside my 30 day return window. Argh!

Can anyone dispute this or provide any insight?

6. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1786

The keyboard will only work in Bluetooth mode. (no IR)

The remainder of the buttons will work in bluetooth mode or IR mode.

Mine was doing the same thing. I called tivo and they are sending me a new one. Call for technical support, and explain to them that it has never worked right, and you are just now getting around to troubleshoot why it doesn't work.

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    No. The keyboard is the only part that requires BT. But in BT mode, everything is BT (except the TV controls -- power, mute, volume).