TIVO Signal Issue to outdoor TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Hamp Lindsey, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Hamp Lindsey

Hamp Lindsey New Member

Jun 23, 2019

Advertisements

I currently have an outdoor TV about 70-80 feet ( cable length ) that is being fed the signal by a Charter Motorola cable box. The cable box is in a room inside the house and the installer used a CALRED Electronics Part No. 40-1072M unit to run HDMI over Cat 5 cables our to the outdoor TV. It is powered. It has worked beautifully. I have a TIVO Roamia and decided I would replace the cable box with a TIVO Mini to to have TIVO outside. I hooked up the MINI ( confirmed it is working using a small TV inside), but when I hooked it up to the outdoor TV ( over the HDMI\CAT 5 wiring) the TV outside TV says "NO SIGNAL". Thinking it might be the power of the MINI ( novice talking here) I then hooked the Roamio up to the outdoor TV ( over the HDMI\CAT 5 wiring) and got same thing, "No Signal". When I hooked the Motorola box back up it works fine. Does this give anyone enough information to tell me if there is a possible solution ( some sort of signal booster) that might allow either the MINI or ROAMIO to drive the outdoor TV that is 70-80 ft away.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You are sending an HDMI signal, converted to run on a CAT-5 cable, to a box (TiVo) that has no ability to convert that to the inputs that are acceptable. Is there a CAT-5 to HDMI converter in the world? What TV has a CAT-5 input for HDMI video?

There are alternative methods to achieve outdoor video. I'm sure you will get some responses.

3. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma

That should be what is being used. The kits usually include both units and power supplies. A sending unit that goes hdmi to cat5 and a receiving unit that goes cat 5 back to hdmi.

They usually work quite well as I used one with a dish receiver in my previous home a few years ago before getting TiVo’s and using moca.

JoeKustra likes this.
  4. Hamp Lindsey

Hamp Lindsey New Member

Jun 23, 2019
    I just talked to someone who suggested that I change the resolution from 1080P to 1080I and this might fix it We will see.

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

TV set to the correct input?

6. Hamp Lindsey

Hamp Lindsey New Member

Jun 23, 2019
    yes it is. Cable box hooked up to HDMI picture great. As soon as as unhook cable box HDMI and plug in TIVO HDMI outdoor TV says "no signal"

7. Hamp Lindsey

Hamp Lindsey New Member

Jun 23, 2019
    It did not! Wishful thinking I guess.

8. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Might be a handshaking problem where the TiVo does not get the proper reply back from the TV in the time needed so it does not display any video or play any audio. A HDMI splitter may solve a handshake problem, but also may not.

krkaufman likes this.
  9. Hamp Lindsey

Hamp Lindsey New Member

Jun 23, 2019
    sounds like it is time to call the professionals in. thanks a lot for the reply.

10. Hamp Lindsey

Hamp Lindsey New Member

Jun 23, 2019
    FYI, a local electronics store let me borrow an HDMI splitter to try and it did not work. I thought I would pass this along just in case someone else has this problem and reads this thread. Thanks for all of the ideas that were given to me.

11. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I may be missing something, but if you're already running Cat-5, why not just stick the mini on the TV and have it connect by Ethernet to the home network? I have a feeling that Ethernet will be less finicky than HDMI over Cat-5.

kpeters59 likes this.
  12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's too easy. :D:D:D:D The OP would also have to lose the HDMI to CAT-5 adapter.

kpeters59 likes this.
  13. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Use it to prop up a chair

JoeKustra likes this.