TiVo should make TiVoHD $99 after rebate.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MediaLivingRoom, Feb 19, 2009.

1. MediaLivingRoom

MediaLivingRoom New Member

Dec 10, 2002

Advertisements

They should offer TiVoHD $99 after rebates. They should bring back this program to get subs. Since they lost about 1 million users.

2. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    How about the S2?

3. MediaLivingRoom

Dec 10, 2002
    They should drop the S2 all together.

I would like to have a TiVoHD for $99 after rebates and the TiVoHD XL for $399 after rebates.

4. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I agree that the S2DT in its current state should be dropped.
    HOWEVER if they didn't intentionally neuter the S2DT to prevent use of digital STB it would still be a good piece of kit.

Has anyone done a "cost to build" analysis of the S2? I've seen it many times for other hardware and based on my understanding of the S2 internals it probably costs less than 100$ to build.

5. berkshires

berkshires New Member

Feb 22, 2007

Advertisements

Why $99?

6. MediaLivingRoom

Dec 10, 2002
    It's a great price point for people.

7. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I prefer $19.95.

$12.50 is also a nice price.

8. SullyND

SullyND W: 45-3 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Imagine how many units they'd off-load if they paid you $50 for taking it.

9. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Heck, I'd buy a TiVo HD today, if they paid me $50 instead of charging me. While they're at it; perhaps they could pay us for our subscriptions, instead of charging us for our subscriptions. I'd really like that.

10. SullyND

SullyND W: 45-3 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    I was thinking they could opt to pick up your mortgage as well.

11. magilladke

magilladke New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Don't worry ... apparently the president has that covered.

12. wannaB

wannaB Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Maybe, just maybe if we stop paying our TiVo bill the president will pay it for us? Crap, what about the one I have lifetime sub on? I'm such a dummy for always paying my bills!

13. berkshires

berkshires New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    If it were free, I'd take two.

That's like buying your house or car for cash. What planet are you living on? You've been dragging the economy down for years with that kind of frugality. Shame on you.

14. berkshires

berkshires New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    What would it do for TiVo?

15. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    They cannot drop the Series 2 unless/until they have something ready to replace it for users that cannot get cable.
    Read: a DVR that works with a satellite or IPTV STB in SD.

16. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    The TivoHD works with OTA. The series 2 is a poor choice for customers who get satellite.

The TivoHD currently has a list price of $300, is commonly available for $250 and occasionally for $200. Selling the unit for $99 would probably require charging a higher monthly fee. I'm not in favor of that. I guess tivo could follow the cell phone model. Sell the unit for $50, with a two year commitment and a monthly charge of $20. I'm not in favor of that either.

17. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    the old rebate program ws how TiVo spent iots marketing dollars in the , seems now, mistaken belief that 99$ would be a sweet spot for selling lots of DVRs.

TiVo abondoned that approach and has stated they do not want to 'lose money' anymore on the sale of hardware. No idea if 200$ boxes at Costco or Sears fits that model but in general while sales of something tend to go up with a lower price - there is a point that it does not generate positive revenue and it seems like TiVo is in that position with DVRs. It is that pesky make money off the monthly sub part that has a more dramatic effect on sales than the cost of the hardware itself.

If TiVo could find revenue generation off of features that allowed them to drop the sub price then we would see sales rise at a significant rate

18. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    that bundled pricing plan also went over like a lead balloon.

19. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I'd like a tivo for free, with no monthly fee and no advertising. Not going to happen. I wouldn't want the kind of increased service fees that would come with highly subsidized hardware. Present pricing is reasonable, for what you get. People looking for "a deal" will generally do better getting a DVR from their service provider.

20. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    So what is a better choice for SD satellite users?