TiVo shopper

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Chdwil, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Chdwil

Chdwil New Member

Jun 20, 2010

Advertisements

Hello, opinions please. I want to get a TiVo to repace my cable dvr. I can get the premier 45 hr for the $299.00. Or a brand new series 3xl on closeout from a major retailer for $350.00. Can I get some suggestions from you please.

2. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    That's not a Series 3xl - there's no such thing. It's a TiVo HDXL, which is a cheap, somewhat less reliable version of the original Series 3. I would take a Premiere over a HDXL any day. Just don't run the Premiere with the new interface - yet. They are still in public beta. In SD interface mode (same as S3 and HDXL) it's stable and much snappier than the other two older units.

3. Chdwil

Chdwil New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Thanks for the info. So the HD xl is not a series 3. Good to know. Premiere is the way to go then.

4. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Not exactly. The HD models are a part of the Series3 family, sharing similar hardware technologies and sharing the same software. But yes, the Premiere is the way to go to get the latest hardware and software.

You could probably save some money with the older models. And if you were in the market for a new cell phone, I imagine these are going pretty cheaply, to:
    [​IMG]
    :D

5. PillowPants

PillowPants New Member

Jun 8, 2010

Advertisements

tivo.com has NEW HDXLs for 229. Why would you spend 350?

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The OP should have looked on Amazon.com. :D

7. Chdwil

Chdwil New Member

Jun 20, 2010

I am probably going premiere.