TiVo shipping bad remote batteries?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by UCLABB, Mar 10, 2019.

1. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I can't find it now, but someone was complaining about the remote with their Bolt purchase not working and it turned out to be bad batteries.

As recently as a few days ago my remote was at 90%. This morning the remote wouldn't turn on the TV or cause the TiVo amber light to flash. I figured the remote was dead as I have never seen a TiVo remote behave like that. Usually if the batteries start to get low, it will first not be able to turn on my receiver, with everything else okay. However, when I put new batteries in, it worked fine.

I got to think the Changhong (Spelling?) batteries shipped with the remote are crap.

2. OrangeTurtle

OrangeTurtle Member

Jul 17, 2015
    I recently purchased a bolt through the great sale. They were DOA, but they were Duracell- a name brand. My only thought is maybe the cold weather killed the batteries? We had some single digit temps here in the midwest the last few weeks.

Not quite the same issue you are having, but it did surprise me. At first I thought the remotes didn't work- glad I tried the batteries from my old controller, which helped me figure things out.

3. Phil T

Phil T Active Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Littleton,...
    My referb Bolt I got a couple weeks ago and came with doa batteries. They were in cellophane looked new but were some Chinese brand. I tried to use them but when the Bolt didn’t respond to the remote, I thought I might have a bad unit. I replaced them with some Duracell’s and everything worked fine.

4. thomb

thomb Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Mill Creek, WA
    I bought 2 of the refurbished units in the recent promotion, both arrived with dead Duracells.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

5. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    I worked in place once that sold Duracell and Energizer batteries, low charge/no charge batteries can slip through. It happens. :( Of course if a product makes you go out and buy batteries that's even worse in some people's mind. :eek:

6. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    It's always good to know about the drop test - drop an alkaline battery onto its bottom (negative end) onto a hard surface. A fully charged battery won't bounce.Half full batteries will bounce a little and dead ones will bounce a lot.

Great way to test a bunch of batteries at once.

7. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Hah! We used to pull this one on nubes back in the old days. Good times!

I'm imagining gullible TiVo owners all over America taking their remotes apart and dropping the batteries on the floor expecting them to bounce like jumping beans.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  8. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Any dates on those Duracells? :)

Scott

9. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    I got some off Chinese brand I never heard of with my bolt refurb.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    FWIW, I recall receiving Changhong AA batteries with I think my TiVo Mini and/or Bolt Plus. They worked fine until they eventually died many months later.

11. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Those are the ones that came with my Bolt.