TiVo Settings Access Control

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by izrunas, Oct 23, 2016.

1. izrunas

izrunas New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Virginia...
    Hello all,

Though mentioned from time to time and asked about as well, I cannot seem to find anything on point with regard to securing a TiVo Mini so that all it can do is "watch" TV--and have ZERO access to settings nor to be able to change accounts, etc.

Here's my issue... I love our new TiVo Bolt+ and we have a number of Minis in our house. Two of which are in guest rooms. I'm not exactly fond of the fact that our houseguests have been able to delete recordings on our Bolt+ and/or try to enter their own credentials for streaming services. Oh, and I was REALLY annoyed when some of our guests added channels back into the lineup which I had specifically disabled in our channel lineup. It's not that we have friends and family who want to annoy us--they simply did not realize that their changes would affect our whole house!

I would not mind if guests could add recordings, I just don't want them able to delete any of them! When some recent guests came down for breakfast, they could not stop talking about how awesome the latest episode of one of our favorite shows was the previous night--an episode which we could not watch because they had deleted it after watching it! (Again, they did not understand the implications of doing so.)

So... Does anyone know of a way to make a TiVo mini into more of a "read-only" device?

Thanks!

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Yes there I see an answer to your problem. A little card that you give to your guests outlining a few simple rules. Sorry, but there isn't any settings to restrict how the mini is used. Btw, unless your guests purposely went out of their way to go into your recently deleted folder and permanently delete a recording, you should be able to recover them.

Are these really guests or are you running a B and B or an airbnb? We've never had guests do much tv watching in their bedrooms.

3. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    To my knowledge it's not possible to restrict access like that. But keep in mind that if they delete anything it's not permanently deleted, it just goes into the deleted folder. Just tell your guests to not to delete anything and set the grid guide to show all channels on the guest room minis and they won't be trying to add channels back in.

4. izrunas

izrunas New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Virginia...
    While it may no longer be standard for family and friends to come and "reside" with people for extended periods, we frequently host friends and family for a couple of weeks to a month or so.

While most people would be more gracious as guests, there are simply some who are far too nerdy and tech-capable for their own good--hence my question.

As for the writer who asked if we have a B&B... As a matter of fact, we do happen to own one. But, we have no TiVo's there. This question thread is specific to our home.

But, since you brought it up.... wouldn't it make sense to have a "B&B Edition" of TiVo? OMG, I had never thought about that before! BUT, I would *definitely* buy TiVo units for ALL of our rooms if such a thing existed!

Anyway, back to houseguests... it just seems so TACKY and inhospitable to post a "rules of use" card in a guest room in our private home. That idea may work for Yankees, but here in Virginia--not so much!

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd offer that evidence suggests you may not be the arbiter of taste and hospitality that you think.

fcfc2 likes this.
  6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Your options are limited then. A courteous card could easily be placed with a listing of available channels. Or tell them verbally and walk them through how it works. But, sounds like you may need to monitor your recently deleted items regularly regardless.

7. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I think that's an excellent solution to OP's issue. In fact, a nicely worded "TV orientation" card could provide an extra dollop of hospitality that would be received with appreciation (especially for the technology-challenged guests) rather than seeming rude or restrictive.