Tivo Services not working with new cable provider

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Bob Young, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Jan 5, 2021 #1 of 16
    Bob Young

Bob Young New Member

Nov 22, 2017

Advertisements

Yesterday I switched providers from Frontier to Spectrum and can no longer connect my six year old Roamio to the Internet. As a result, I cannot download a new program guide or access YouTube. TV and Internet are working fine. I can manually record on my Roamio.

Spectrum installed a new modem, cable card, and tuning adapter. I kept my personal Actiontec CM1424WR router that has been on my system for years. TiVo says that it has to be the router since diagnosis indicates a number of ports are blocked. I have basically turned off both the Frontier and Microsoft firewalls with no luck. I used port forwarding on my router's app to open the ports in question. My Moca network is working. Spectrum is no help since I am using my own router. HELP!

2. Jan 5, 2021 #2 of 16
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    "Blocked Ports" is a red herring...don't waste your time.

Is the TiVo getting a valid IP address from the new Router? Does it show in the Routers DHCP list?

Can you Ping the TiVo from another device on the Network? Maybe even the Routers Diagnostics page?

There's been recent reports of goofiness like this being resolved by changing the TiVo's IP Address. Maybe make an IP Reservation in the Router that causes the TiVo to change IP's.

Of course, you've recently rebooted both the TiVo and the Router? There's been recent reports of simply rebooting the Router or Modem fixing this, too.

-KP

3. Jan 5, 2021 #3 of 16
    Bob Young

Bob Young New Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. The router is not new. It was used with Frontier and still being used with Spectrum. (Actiontec M1424WR) No settings were changed during the transition. The modem is new from Spectrum. A valid IP for the Roamio appears to be a problem. In the router's DHCP list, it appears correctly (192.168.1.120) and is within my network addresses. It has a completely different address when viewed from TiVo settings (169.254-111.71). Obviously, the Roamio it's getting its IP address from somewhere other than my network. I can't ping any of my four TiVo devices from my network. I've re-booted everything too many times to count. I'm toying with the idea of doing a factory reset on the router but am not sure what I'll end up with if I do. The MOCA network is good since the Roamio and all three Mini's can view and record TV - Just no program guide. TiVo won't talk to me again until I get what they are saying are the blocked ports resolved. Any additional thoughts? Thanks

4. Jan 5, 2021 #4 of 16
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    169.254.x.x is a 'fall back' IP units assign to themselves.

Your TiVo is not communicating with the Router or it's integrated DHCP Server.

-KP

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  5. Jan 6, 2021 #5 of 16
    Bob Young

Bob Young New Member

Nov 22, 2017

Advertisements

Thanks for the info. Since I can no longer get support on the Actiontec router, I bit the bullet and ordered a Netcom Nighthawk 7000. It will be here tomorrow. One way or another, we'll get this thing working.

kpeters59 likes this.
  6. Jan 7, 2021 #6 of 16
    brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Is the Spectrum modem just a modem or a modem/router combo? Model#? If it's a combo deal try plugging the TiVo into one of it's ports. BTW, you can eliminate the monthly charge for their modem by buying your own. The rental savings will pay for the modem in less than a year.

krkaufman likes this.
  7. Jan 7, 2021 #7 of 16
    Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    I factory reset my two routers every month so that won't hurt at all. It is possible that switching providers has messed up your MoCa network so you may want to redo that. Take your main TiVo and plug the ethernet cable right into your router or even the modem to see if you can get a network connection. If it does then you have issues with your LAN.

8. Jan 7, 2021 #8 of 16
    Bob Young

Bob Young New Member

Nov 22, 2017
    My MOCA network appears to be working. No trouble watching TV on the Roamio and the three Mini's. Just no program guide or other Internet activities. I have a new router arriving today that I can get support with unlike my old Actiontec. Tivo keeps telling me I have blocked ports on the router. We'll see what a new router can do.

9. Jan 7, 2021 #9 of 16
    Bob Young

Bob Young New Member

Nov 22, 2017

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The Mini's can view live and recorded TV? (The Mini's would need to be networked with the DVR for this to be true.)

At least two things will be different from FiOS and Spectrum:
    • You'll need to install a "PoE" MoCA filter (a MoCA filter at the cable signal point-of-entry to the residence) to secure your MoCA network, and to keep neighboring MoCA signals off your coax. The "PoE" MoCA filter also provides a performance boost for the MoCA network, by more efficiently reflecting the MoCA signals back onto your coax plant.

• The SDV Tuning Adapter can block MoCA signals passing to/from the DVR if the DVR is connected via the TA's RF pass-through port. (The TA pass-through severely attenuates signals outside of 5-1002 MHz.) If the DVR is using MoCA, a MoCA-compatible 2-way splitter needs to be used at the DVR/TA location to get each device connected to the coax plant.

• Though unlikely, the new DOCSIS 3.1 cable Internet standard's frequencies overlap with those of MoCA, so special care needs to be taken if the provider is using the DOCSIS 3.1 signals above 1002 MHz (1002-1218 MHz) for the Internet connection, or, in some case, if a DOCSIS 3.1 modem is in use and is sensitive to MoCA signals.

What is your modem brand and model #? (I guess that's another thing, having a modem in the mix, rather than the ONT.)

Outside of the above, the setup should be similar.

What do devices connected via Ethernet or wireless to the MI424-WR LAN report for their IP addresses, and are they able to communicate with the Internet?

11. Bob Young

Bob Young New Member

Nov 22, 2017
    The Spectrum modem is just a modem. It shouldn't be a factor with Tivo. Spectrum doesn't charge for their modem but do charge $5.00 a month for their router which I declined because I already had one. BTW I'm getting a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router today and will report back if it makes a difference.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, it'll make a difference in one way: the Nighthawk doesn't have a built-in MoCA LAN bridge like the MI424-WR. (But then you haven't detailed how your devices are connected or how the MoCA network is established, so maybe not.)

14. Bob Young

Bob Young New Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Tivo Moca setup.JPG Still not there.
    1. My MoCA network that is generated by my Roamio went away yesterday. My Roamio still gets a TV signal but none of the three Minis do anymore. My Roamio is capable of setting up a MoCa network (Has worked fine for over 6 years.) Several TiVo techs tried to sell me a Tivo Bridge in addition to the one I bought for my router. (See #5 below)
    2. Purchased a new new Netgear R7000. It is not MoCA capable. Internet is working fine has had up to 15 devices showing as attached.
    3. Purchased a new Tivo Bridge Plus (ECB6200) to go to the new Router. The installation diagram is shown above. Bridge is used to make the Router MoCA ready. Coax light came on for a short time today and the Bridge appeared in the attached devices on the router and had a correctly assigned IP Address of 192.168.1.19. Device no longer shows in the attached devices area of the router.
    4. One of the Minis actually connected to the router for a short time and went through the entire Tivo network setup to the point of downloading information. There was NO connection to the Roamio for video. This connection went away a short time later.
    5. I took the Spectrum supplied tuning adapter out of the loop for now and am connecting the coax from the wall directly into the Roamio. This was to take the Spectrum supplied 2-way splitter out of the equation since it was not to TiVo specs. It wasn't the splitter.
    I have spent hours on the phone with TiVo with no luck. I'm about to call Spectrum and have them pick everything. Right now I really want to get the Roamio generated MoCa network back up so I can connect my Minis. Of course I'd like to get the bridge working with the router.

15. Bob Young

Bob Young New Member

Nov 22, 2017
    I forgot to mention that the Spectrum Tech changed out my 8-way splitter in the attic with a very nice amplified one. Any chance this could be affecting things. I'll switch back to the old one later this morning just in case. I really can't think of anything else.

16. Bob Young

Bob Young New Member

Nov 22, 2017
    SUCCESS! The amplified splitter installed by Spectrum was the culprit. As soon as I switched back to my old passive splitter everything fell in line. The Roamio, the three minis, and the bridge all showed up as devices on the router. From there it was just a matter of re-booting everything and getting service connections. All is well and it only took seven days. Obviously, the powered splitter did not meet TiVo's spec's. Thanks for the help along the way.

slowbiscuit, kpeters59 and blacknoi like this.