Tivo Service is a requirement for Premiere to record?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by duckpeople, Jan 28, 2012.

1. duckpeople

duckpeople New Member

Jan 28, 2012
    SF Bay area
    Yeah, maybe I am whining. I bought a Premiere at Best Buy and they said that I could use the Premiere without service as a recorder manually as I do on older Tivos. Now I am told that service is a requirement to get the Premiere to record in any fashion, except the 30 minute buffer for "pause".

Is there any way around this without buying service??

Thanks - Quack!!

2. StringFellow

StringFellow New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    TiVo service is required to use any feature of your Premiere. You were misinformed by Best Buy which happens all the time.

3. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    According to reports here, once you connect your Premiere to the Internet and let it update its software from TiVo's servers, even the 30-minute buffering won't work. With the latest software (20.2) an unsubscribed Premiere will work only as a dual tuner.

4. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    That is correct as even the pause does not work without a sub. For a TP that cost less than $80 what could anyone expect, with a 320Mb hard drives now costing about $90 itself with shipping. If I needed a 320Mb hard drive I would purchase a TP.

5. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    A 320Tb HD? Really?

6. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    I'd buy a dozen at that price... I just added that much to my corporate datacenter, but it cost me closer to a $million.... :)

7. duckpeople

duckpeople New Member

Jan 28, 2012
    SF Bay area
    Yeah, 320Tb was wishful thinkin' on their part, or a slip of the finger. You know what that's like, right? :eek:

The pause function does work on my box without subscription.

So there must be a workaround for this issue, no subscription, no record. Any programmers workin' on this? I can't believe that we are just going to bend over for this.

Thanks - Quack!

8. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The pause function works on your TP only on a program already recorded, it does not work with live TV with 20.2 software and no sub ???

9. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    And without the buffering, the "dual" part is meaningless (changing tuners becomes equivalent to changing channels). So, just a tuner, then.

As an ATSC tuner, an unsubscribed TiVo is a poor choice, too -- the only one that won't use the PSIP program data.

Has it updated to 20.2 yet? It doesn't come with it.

"So"? No, that doesn't follow.

Who's "we"? The rest of us already subscribed.

Return it or subscribe, those are your choices. Give Best Buy a piece of your mind, too.

10. duckpeople

duckpeople New Member

Jan 28, 2012
    SF Bay area
    No, to the 20.2. It has 14.5-01-3-746. I do not have the TP hooked up to internet or phone so perhaps that is why it doesn't update the software. I did have it connected initially for a few hours.

So it works as a pause on live broadcast in this configuration. I checked again to ensure the accuracy. I have made a mistake in the past.

:)

Cheers! - Quack!

11. duckpeople

duckpeople New Member

Jan 28, 2012
    SF Bay area
    Any replies to workaround on the recording issue??

Any alternate OS's . . . Any hope!!

Quack!

12. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    No, such work arounds would be considered theft of service, and is not allowed to be discussed on the forum.

Seems like you're best off returning the device, or paying for the service.

13. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Either way it wa too good to be true! :D

14. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Keep if off the internet. The next time it connects, it will download version 14.9.x which is the version that bricked the buffer in Live TV.

15. duckpeople

duckpeople New Member

Jan 28, 2012
    SF Bay area
    I was not interested in theft of service. Just getting the box to record.

I got the message: Take it back, or buy service.

Thanks to all who contributed to the topic.

Quack!

16. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Getting the box to record with out service = theft of service.

17. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I don't think a lot of people understand that the business model involves a combination of hardware fees and software fees and that they lower hardware fees and make them up in software fees.

Personally I wish the world would charge appropriately for example charge me what brake pads cost and charge me the cost to install them and not hide profit in the brake pads by the installer but thats not going to happen.

The result of this silly model is that people get hardware cheap here and think they can end around the rest of the hardware expense.

18. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Those two statements don't go together. Recording in any capacity is part of the paid TiVo service, thus using a workaround to get the box to record is theft of service.

19. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I don't know how many people purchased an extra TP when Amazon had them for about $50 (now $83) just for parts to service my other TPs, but TiVo must have a loss on hardware sold but never activated, for $50 I now have and extra remote, power supply, 320Gb Hard drive with the image on it, great deal for me but not so much for TiVo.

20. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I know that it is the policy of this forum that any use of a Tivo to record without service is 'theft of service', and it doesn't make any difference to me, as I have 10 lifetime or evaluation Tivos, but when I read on the Tivo website, it says that the Tivo service is :

"The TiVo Service. The TiVo service consists of program guide information and the following features: (a) Season Pass® recording – automatically finds and records every episode of a series all season long; (b) WishList® search – finds and records programs that feature your favorite actor, director, team or even topic; (c) Smart Recording – automatically detects program line-up changes for your cable/satellite provider and adjusts recording times so you don't have to worry about the details; (d) TiVo Suggestions – TiVo can be programmed to suggest and auto-record programs that may match your interests; and (e) Parental Controls – lock channels or set ratings limits based on content. Each of these features is part of the "TiVo service." The "TiVo service" means these features and any additional features and functionality of the TiVo DVR that TiVo may, at its discretion and from time to time, offer."

None of those points mention using the manual record feature that some use without service is part of the Tivo service agreement. I wouldn't advise using that, as you can get a Series 2 Toshiba or Pioneer with basic service for $50 on ebay and get the program data for the 3 days instead of 2 weeks. And you get a DVD burner thrown in too! I think those Tivos are vastly under-priced.

As I say, I don't care either way, as it doesn't apply to me, and for that matter can't see why somebody wouldn't want to pay $50 to get the Tivo service. It certainly is worth it.

Now if someone was trying to steal the TVguide and other features of the Tivo service that they download from the internet or phone line, then that would be obviously stealing to me. But I agree to abide to this forums position that any use, other than with paid service, is considered theft.