"TiVo Service Interrupted" despite multiple successful connections

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Kitzu, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Kitzu

Kitzu New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    I've had TiVo boxes for going on twenty, and this is the first time I've seen or heard of this problem, so I am turning to y'all for guidance.

Since early yesterday morning, my TiVo Bolt has not recorded anything (lots of "Not Recorded" entries in the "Recording Activity" menu) and when I hit the Info button for any particular show, it simply displays "TiVo Service Interrupted". However, if I hit "Guide" I can see all of the information for each show. Also, when I check my "Network Settings", it says that the "TiVo Service Connection" "[Succeeded]" and if I manually force a service connection, it works perfectly fine. It's almost like half of the box recognizes that the service is fine while the other half is confused.

Help? I have power cycled the box twice (including once when I left it unplugged for a minute) to no avail. I'd really rather not do a hard Factory Reset.

FWIW, this box was acting up a few months ago to the point where I requested a replacement, but it regained its health before the replacement box was shipped so I aborted. It was failing in a very different way, but left me worrying that I might have a lemon...

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Don't do "Clear Program Info & To Do List." It could get stuck. Don't even do Clear & Delete Everything.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Strange that TiVo Service is needed to record a scheduled program. How about a manual recording scheduled for an hour from now?

4. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Is the guide which you say you have getting smaller every day? If the guide goes out 11 days today is tomorrow still eleven? (meaning new data has been added) or does it now go out to the same day leaving you with a ten day guide? Point is...either you are updating your guide or it is stagnant and will eventually run out .

5. Kitzu

Kitzu New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    The guide data extends until the early evening of Monday 3/30 -- 12 days from now. Beyond that it says "Not available", which is unusual since it normally just won't scroll farther in that direction.

I haven't tried a manually scheduled program -- will try that now.

I'm just about to the point where I'll watch all the shows that are not easily recoverable and then do a hard reset (gulp!).

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I will repeat:

kpeters59 likes this.
  7. Kitzu

Kitzu New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    So, it turns out that the message was literally correct and the problem was that my TiVo Service was interrupted... due to a mistake by TiVo. A couple of months ago, I was having a problem with the box and TiVo agreed to send out a replacement. I managed to fix the problem and alerted them to that fact, but they shipped a replacement anyway. I sent it back unopened. Apparently this past weekend an automated process removed my old box (and it's TiVo Service Number) from my account and replaced it with the new one... so my old box (which has/had Lifetime service) was being treated like my sub had expired. When I finally diagnosed the problem and contacted them, they reset the TSN number in my account and my box is sync'ing again. What a mess, but at least it's resolved!

Thanks all who responded to help!

HerronScott and JoeKustra like this.
  8. chelman

chelman Member

Oct 26, 2004
    Southern...
    I'm experiencing the same issue! I spent around 2.5 hours with tech support yesterday, including a supervisor. They asked me to power cycle, connect the Tivo directly to the Internet modem, switch the Tivo to the bedroom among other things. The problem is still there. The tech told me, to get rid of me, that it would take 2-4 hour for that message to disappear. That's when I asked to talk to a supervisor.

Coincidentally, this problem started after I received an email from Tivo returns reminding me to return a replacement unit that I had cancelled in January, and therefore I never received. Needless to say, Tivo did not refund my credit card after the cancellation, so I had to dispute the charge with my CC.

9. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Interesting that the guide was kept up to date even though service was not active.