TiVo service in Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jimcruz, Sep 13, 2009.

1. jimcruz

jimcruz New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Puerto Rico

Advertisements

Hi:
    After searching high and low for an answer to my doubt i had no other chance to post a new thread hoping that somebody can help me. I live in Puerto Rico and just bought a tivo hd at a local sears store for $125 dollars, i would like to know if i need cable cards for the tivo to work properly, currently i have service with Liberty cable tv, the cable box that i have at my home doesn't have a card is a motorola box and is very small, i do know that onelink cable does provide for cards but there boxes do have cards. Does anyone has tried or currently have tivo service on Puerto Rico.
    :(

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    To work properly with the digital cable channels you need to get the cable cards. For analog cable channels, and OTA channels, no cards are needed.

3. jimcruz

jimcruz New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    The cable box that i have right now is very small and it doesn't have cards, I called my cable company and they said that i don't nead cards for the tivo to work, I have the feeling that they do not know what in the world a tivo is.

4. crabell

crabell New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    For non-digital channels you do not needs CableCards, but they may be thinking of a Tivo Series 2, which does not work with CableCards.

I'm currently using several CableCards with Onelink, but I think that Liberty was excluded from the federal requirement to carry them since they are relativelly small.

Does Liberty offer their our "DVR Cable Box"? if they do, you may want to ask them for the Model Number and then seach the internet to see if that model works with CableCards. Asumming that is the case, you can try to get their "DVR Cable Box" and use their CableCard for your TiVo.

You are not supposed to do this, and it may not even work, but I used this method before Onelink offered more than 1 CableCard per customer and it worked very well. It was expensive, but it worked.

Good Luck!

5. jimcruz

jimcruz New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Puerto Rico

Advertisements

I've have spend the whole day setting up my tivo hd, I'm about to put it back in the box and sell it on ebay. It looks like I need cable cards, but I'm not in the mood to shed the extra money for them.

6. crabell

crabell New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    Too bad you won't get to enjoy your TiVo HD...

Perhaps Liberty Cable will offer CableCards in the future, you never know.

7. Oct 6, 2009 #7 of 11
    macevedo

macevedo New Member

Oct 23, 2005
    Liberty has cable cards. Get in touch with Sandra Weng. If they refuse tell then you are going to complain with the FCC. Trust me, they have the cards. Without the CableCards only channel 3 is available. I have Liberty, and i have Tivo HD and I get HD channels and everything. It will take a bit of creative arguments with them.

When you get in touch with them, be nice, don't get overly exited and it will get you somewhere. If you play the rough guy or gal and start yelling and being disrespectful you may not get what you are looking for.

They sell the cable card though, they don't rent it, so you may end up paying a hefty sum of money.

Liberty did get excluded from the requirement but I got my CableCard by filing a complaint with the FCC anyway. They had purchased and tested 50 of these cablecards over a year before they finally gave it to me. The cards are M-Cards which means you only need one.

All channels in Liberty are digital, except channel 3. This was one of the requirements liberty had to fulfill in order to get an exemption to the CableCard rule.

8. Mar 8, 2011 #8 of 11
    Alisbeth

Alisbeth New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Hi!

I just got a Tivo Premiere because they asured me that it wold work with Liberty. I called Liberty and after telling me many times that they didn't have mcards they gave me a DVR with the mcard inside! Do you know if they still have Mcard for sale or if I can take the card and put it in the Tivo? Thanks!

9. Mar 8, 2011 #9 of 11
    crabell

crabell New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    Before I managed to get my CableCards from OneLink I removed the M-Card from their HD-DVR and placed it on my TiVoHD and everything worked just fine. It may work just fine or it may work on some channels only, it depends if Liberty requires to link the HostID from your TiVo (or HD-DVR) for the CableCard to work. However, you won't know if it will work for you until you try it. I would go for it, but then again it depends on how comfortable you are doing this.

Good Luck!

10. Alisbeth

Alisbeth New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I thouht about doing that when they gave me the DVR but Im afraid if I take the card out and put it in the Tivo and it doesn't work, when I put it back on the Dvr it won't work. What do you think?

PS: Thanks for answering!

11. crabell

crabell New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    I see no reason why your HD-DVR wouldn't work once you return the CableCard. I did this a few times with no problems.

Good Luck!