Tivo Service Fee Confusion

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Brighton Line, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Brighton Line

Brighton Line Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm interested in replacing my HD with a Premier, I already have a Premier XL and I would be dropping my HD from service since I live in a three room apartment no need for a third Tivo.

I called Tivo and got confusing information. Since I have "legacy pricing" with my HD as primary at $12.99 a month and the Premier XL at $99 a year multi Tivo discount.

The sales man said the new Premiere would be $14.99 a month and the current P/XL would go to $129.99 a year after my current year expires.

Does that sound correct if I'm dropping my primary Tivo HD (the current $12.99)?

The salesman also said I could just buy the Tivo Premier for $299.99 and do a "swap out" with the HD and keep all current pricing.
    That sound even stranger since how could I keep "legacy pricing" on a new box?

Any ideas would be helpful.
    TIA

2. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    You would keep "legacy pricing" because you would be paying full price for the box. You have to pay "full price" on a Premiere otherwise because at $99, Tivo is subsidizing you. By paying $299, you are eliminating that subsidy.

And yes, if you pay $99 for the new Premiere one of your Premieres will have to go to full price. You can't have MSD on every box on your account.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    This is what happens when you buy the box discounted at $99.

This is what happens when you buy the box full price at $299.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, you can get a discount on the box if you pay full price for the servce
    OR
    you get a discount on the service if you pay full price for the box.

Does that help clarify things for you? :D

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Some people have been able to threaten to cancel their HDs and get $99 lifetime on them.

There's a thread about it around here somewhere.

5. Brighton Line

Brighton Line Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks all, I just saw a Premiere on Amazon thru Weeknees for $82.48 inculding shipping. I run three DVR's until all is transfered and then try to get lifetime on HD and/or cancel it.
    I only pay $2 for cablecard the HD is running two single streams so I still have to get a multi for the new purchase. Yah I never took the time to go to the "store" and swap out the singles for a multi. Now I have a reason.