Tivo service connection

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Kranon, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Kranon

Kranon New Member

Oct 21, 2020

Advertisements

Hello,
    I am a bit stumped, so I thought I would reach out for assistance. I got a new router a few weeks ago, and my Tivo box cannot connect to the Tivo service when connected through this new router. I am able to stream Netflix through the Tivo box, and it knows its IP address and that it is connected to the internet. If I connect the Tivo box directly to my cable modem, it can connect to the Tivo service fine.

Does anyone have a guess as to what would be blocking Tivo from connecting to the service on a router? I've tried turning off the firewall on the router as well as setting the Tivo box's IP as the DMZ host. The issue still occurs.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You can watch the connection in Network Settings, Network Trouble Shooting, Internet Connection. This will not download any guide data, but do everything else. At what point does it fail? While you can set an IP address for the TiVo, I would let DHCP do it's thing first, especially with a wired connection.

What model is the router?

3. Kranon

Kranon New Member

Oct 21, 2020
    It hangs at "negotiating..." on step "connecting." It is able to "prepare" fine.
    It is a Speedefy AC2100 router.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I just tried to check the manual but received an error trying to access speedefy.com. Can you access the site?

5. Kranon

Kranon New Member

Oct 21, 2020

Advertisements

I was on the site earlier but it appears to be down at the moment.

I am also able to set DVR from the Tivo app even on a different network, so the box seems to have internet otherwise even for Tivo itself.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Have you tried using the internal TiVo wireless? Just spit balling since I searched the forum and you are the only member using one.

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What is the new router's IP address? Normally, Tivo goes through 192.168.1.1. You may need to set the global and DNS servers to the new router address.

8. Kranon

Kranon New Member

Oct 21, 2020
    This Tivo box doesn't have wireless. I have it connected via ethernet.

9. Kranon

Kranon New Member

Oct 21, 2020
    The router uses 192.168.3.1. I did try setting the DNS and gateway to that, and the IP address 192.168.3.135 (which is an IP address in the router's range) but it still would not connect. I could try changing the router's IP if you think that would help.