"tivo service account closed"

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by graymalkn, Sep 1, 2007.

1. graymalkn

graymalkn New Member

May 16, 2007
    Several years ago my wife and I gave my mother-in-law a Series I Sony Tivo with a lifetime subscription (we bought it used on eBay). Then about two weeks ago she started getting a "Tivo service account closed" message. When she called, Tivo had no record of her existing, even though she's sent it in for repairs in the past. I'm going to try talking to Tivo myself, but I'd like to go into the call with as much information as possible. Has anyone else seen this before? have any advice?

2. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    How was this TiVo obtained? Was it bought on eBay? Was the TiVo's TSN ever transferred from the original owner to your (or your mother-in-laws) name under a new TiVo account?

If not, its possible the original owner played a fast one on you and transferred lifetime off it to another box (such as a Series 3).

The only way to find out would be to contact someone directly in TiVo. The CSRs may be able to search by the TiVo's TSN to figure out what happened. I would try calling customer service again. If you can't get an answer through usual channels, luckily, some of the higher-ups at TiVo actually read this board. You can PM TiVoPony and see what happens.

3. graymalkn

graymalkn New Member

May 16, 2007
    Thing is, she's had it for about three and a half years now, which is part of what has us mystified. But I'll be calling Tuesday to see what they can do.

4. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The years she had it do not matter if the TiVo was not in her (your) name in a TiVo account that you/she had control of, if you just got the TiVo from E-Bay and it worked you may have thought that all is cool and you did not have to do anymore, you would be wrong! If the original owner moved the Lifetime off the unit and it was in his name you may have a BIG problem (OK a $300 problem). This has happened before and been discussed on these forms. One must have any TiVo with Lifetime Service in their own name ASAP, after receiving the unit. Your only recourse may be with the person you purchased it from if you can find them after so many years. (Some Series 1 TiVos had duplicate TSN numbers done by unscrupulous vendors that also can cause a problem)