TiVo Server quit starting

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kortmann, Oct 19, 2011.

1. kortmann

kortmann New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    East Texas
    I have two Pcs, each running Windows XP, SP3. They share a cable broadband connection to the internet. Connections are; from the cable modem to the Linksys wireless “G” router via Ethernet cable and then, on to both computers wirelessly, each computer having a usb adapter. The wireless network was set up to accommodate my TiVo and had no security but, as I added first one and then both computers, I turned on WPA2 Personal Security. So far, so good. Both computers connected to the web with no noticeable loss in speed and the TiVo connected to its service fine. However, after the first re-boot, the computer where TiVo Desktop is installed failed to start the TiVo Server. Several cycles of “remove and re-install”, running “Desktop Cleaner”, re-registering VBScript and doing these steps after a “Clean Boot” failed to fix the issue. I need help to get my TiVo Desktop back up and running please.

Ken

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I had Tivo Desktop when all of a sudden it stopped working and I switched to PyTivo, and I will never go back to Desktop/Plus again.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Probably unrelated, but can't hurt and might help--give the TiVo and both computers fixed IP addresses.

I've noticed that the various wireless encryption schemes are sometimes given different names by different pieces of equipment, i.e., your router may not refer to scheme X by the exact same words that your TiVo does, so triple check that everything on the network is really using the same encryption scheme.

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I would also try clearing the Desktop cache files. Normally you can do it through the Desktop interface but you will have to do it manually. Go to the "C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop\Cache" folder and delete everything.

If that doesn't help, try moving everything in the My TiVo Recordings folder to a temporary location. If TiVoServer.exe is choking on a corrupt file that should let it start normally, then you can move your files back a few at a time to find the culprit.

5. kortmann

kortmann New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    East Texas
    Hi unitron,
    Pardon me for being a bit dense but could you detail the steps? I am not sure about how to do this. I hope it's not too much trouble.
    Thanks,
    Ken

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Static IP did not help me. TD/P wouldn't run, some file was stuck which prevented TD from running, which I had to close with task manager. Now, with PyTivo, there is never a problem.

Under TD/P, there is only 1 folder on my Tivos, but with PyTivo, I got 4 folders, each points to a different partition I had setup.

7. kortmann

kortmann New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    East Texas
    Hi ThAbtO,

I've taken a cursory look at PyTiVo and I may have to give it a try. I'm going to exhaust any suggestions I get here first. Thanks for the tip.
    Ken

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    As for making sure everything is using the same encryption no mattter what name they use for it, you'll need to access the router's help screens to get a better explanation of each one and have Google open in another browser window.

As for fixed IP addresses, you do know how to access the html setup page for the router, correct?

What's the exact model number of the router?

9. kortmann

kortmann New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    East Texas
    Yes, I can get to the set up page. It's a Linksys WRT54GS. I'm pretty sure the same mode is set on all because the TiVo is connecting to the service with no problem. WPA2 Personal Algorithm AES.
    Ken

10. kortmann

kortmann New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    East Texas
    Hi ggieseke,

Clearing the cache did the trick. Thanks a lot!

'Till next time,

Ken