Tivo server error

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by spring, Jul 11, 2011.

1. spring

spring New Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Whenever I start up the computer, I get the error message, "Transfer server wrong version!" Everything works fine, but I'm curious why that message always appears.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you referring to the TiVo Desktop software?

3. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    My parents computer is having the same issue. I tried uninstalling the software and now when I try to reinstall it, the Desktop icon does not appear and I can't find the software anywhere on the hard drive. Any suggestions?

4. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Three is a "cleaner" tool on the TiVo website that will clean out the registry and directories completely so that a reinstall should work correctly.

5. spring

spring New Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Unitron, yes I am referring to the TiVo Desktop software.

Everything works fine so I dont know why I get that message.

6. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Mark's suggestion to run the cleaner tool and then reinstall Desktop is a good one. I would try that first.

www.tivo.com/assets/exe/tivotogo/TiVoDesktopCleaner.zip

I have only seen that error message once on my computer, and I think it was because my main RAID drive array was rebuilding at the time and everything was running incredibly slow. The transfer server did start on its own a few seconds later and everything was fine. This is just a guess, but Desktop may give that message if the transfer server hasn't fully started yet and it doesn't get a correct response.

You could also try trimming the number of apps that run at startup or logon.