So since my call of 9/15 I received an email last week from tivo with a case number and confirmation that I could transfer PLS to a bolt by calling in and requesting a supervisor. I decided to place my order today before we get hit by Hurricane Matthew because of warnings about power outages of 2 weeks in Vero Beach. Looks like we may be ground zero. Don't know how long or bad this may end up being. Anyway I was connected with a nice supervisor named "Matthew". He asked how my day was going. Haha, I let him know about his hurricane namesake. We bonded over all that. I was ready to bite the bullet on the Bolt+ but he indicated that the Bolt+ is not part of the offer. So I went with the 500 GB bolt for $174.99 (Save the money upgrade the HD later). He was ready to finalize the order but placed me on hold to check on something. He recommended that I wait to place the order until after the hurricane and its aftermath. Tivo can't guarantee safe shipping. Then he said he would (follow-up) call me once a day starting on the 13th until he reaches me. Update: Apparent wobble to the north which could mean a more seaward path for the center. Let's hope. Signing off now to disconnect electronics.