Tivo Series 4 Start Up Slow

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by kimos, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1 of 13
    kimos

kimos New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    I Just Start Using The Tivo. Everytime I Power Off And Power On. That Will Take Almost 5 Minute To Start Up To Welcome Screen. Anyway May Faster Start?

2. Sep 7, 2011 #2 of 13
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Takes about a minute longer than Series 3.

Nothing wrong. Although there is probably no harm in turning it off and on, Tivo is designed to run 24/7.

Nothing can be done to appreciably speed up booting time.

3. Sep 7, 2011 #3 of 13
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Why are you powering it up and down. It should stay powered up 24/7. The only time it should be rebooting is when there is a software update. It uses 23 to 25 watts so keeping it on 24/7 costs very liitle.

4. Sep 7, 2011 #4 of 13
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Or when it crashes or locks up due to bugs that are still not fixed after over 1.5 years...

Sorry, had to add that.

5. Sep 8, 2011 #5 of 13
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I am with crxssi, his premiere could be rebooting for no reason like mine does when using the screwed up HDUI. May be after to morrow I have a 4 tuner Ceton card set to do my recording with so I do have to depend on the premiere.

6. Sep 8, 2011 #6 of 13
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Yours is fast compare to mine it takes over 7 minutes for mine to boot. Of course mine is slow at every thing including the HDUI menu.

7. Sep 8, 2011 #7 of 13
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yeah, I was going to mention I have NEVER seen my Premiere boot up in as little as 5 minutes... it is more like 7 to 10. Unless of course, you accidentally leave in the Slide Remote dongle plugged in (like it is supposed to be), then there is a chance it will get stuck "rebooting" forever, until you unplug it :(

8. Sep 8, 2011 #8 of 13
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    None of my Premieres do that. I onlly run the HDUI on them and they only reboot if I manually initiate it or if there has been a software update.

Of course who knows what will happen when I change four of them out for two Elites.

9. Sep 8, 2011 #9 of 13
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    We all aspire to have your setup since none of your machines have EVER had ANY problems, reboots, failures, etc. There are a lot of people on the forums, including me, that are very jealous.

I have only 1 TiVo now- a Premiere. And my first unit completely died within 3 months. So I have a 100% failure rate as far as bugs and major problems go ("this group is empty" SDUI bug several times a week, tivo animation bug nearly every day, "stops responding to remote" bug about once every two weeks, "can't boot with Slide Remote dongle" most times, slow HDUI, and others). Still holding out hope that someday I will have a stable, bug-free Premiere. :(

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    With my luck I'll screw myself with the Elites. I hope not but I do acknowledge it is a possibility.

11. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    that's not too bad, takes mine 14 min to boot up

12. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    My Premiere also worked great then TiVo sent through an update about 5 months back that had it running aweful. They must have pretty quick sent through a fix for it because it got better. I have always used the HDUI without problems until recently. My TiVo started freezing and having jitter issues and sound drops. Doing a KS54 showed my DVR expander to be bad. Once removed the TiVo worked good using the HDUI.
    Still wishing to have plenty of recording space i bought a preformatted 2TB internal HDD and installed it last night. Setup went smooth and my Premiere is operating faster than it even has still using the HDUI.

13. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    been there, done that.

A few nights I missed out on TV programming entirely because I sat around waiting for the thing to boot after a crash (you never really know when to pull the plug during a boot cycle and conclude that it hung on boot) and rebooting it multiple times until I learned to unplug the BT dongle.

It's a sort of cascade failure of bad design decisions. Stupidly long boot by itself is fine. Infrequent crashes by themselves are not so bad. Crashes + Stupidly Long Boot = Problem.