TiVo Series 3

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by azvenigo, Jan 23, 2006.

1. azvenigo

azvenigo New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    I just want TiVo to know: I don't care what the Series 3 costs, I'm buying one. If they can make it affordable, all the better. But the Series 2 changed my life. And the user interface and features have been unmatched by any other PVR I've ever used.

I currently have a Comcast HD DVR that I use (through gritted teeth) alongside my TiVo. When Series 3 comes out that Moterola box is getting tossed right out the window.

Long live TiVo!

2. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    I'm with ya, but you should know that TiVo and Comcast have a deal, similar to what TiVO had with DirecTv, and later this year it's expected that the Comcast DVRs (that are Motorolas) will be "upgraded" to have TiVo software.

Given the $10 monthly rental charge, it will be interesting for Comcast subscribers to see what you get with the Series 3 SA vs upgraded Comcast DVRs.

3. ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    TiVo has been saying 2nd half of the year for both the Series 3 and the Comcast/TiVo box, but I've heard rumblings that there will be a test of the Comcast box in New Hampshire in March. That might mean the wait will be shorter than expected.

For those of us who aren't Comcast customers, however, that Series 3 box looks so... very... delicious...

4. Larry in TN

Larry in TN Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Ever wonder why you've never done well at poker? :)

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have every intention of buying two. I just hope they're not $1,000 each because my wallet doesn't like it when it has to take that big of a hit. :)

Dan

6. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    Depending on the cost, I also plan on buying two.

7. VinceA

VinceA Active Member

May 13, 2002
    Bayonne, NJ
    I'll be starting with replacing my Series 2 first then after the inevitable price drops/rebates replacing the two Series 2's in the kids rooms. A lot will also depend on how well the Series 3 'plays' with the Series 2's.

8. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

good point on how they play together. MRV is used a lot at our house and I do not want to think about where I am recording things in relation to being able to get at it. (HD of course being the exception of staying on a Series 3)

faster MRV is also a good thing :up:

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you replace all your TiVos with S3 units then MRV wont be an issue, even in HD. :)

Dan

10. VinceA

VinceA Active Member

May 13, 2002
    Bayonne, NJ
    Not being fabulously weathly, a wholesale replacement project just ain't gonna happen. Right now getting one S3 & a modest HDTV are more than enough home entertainment improvement for my budget.

11. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Maybe they give individuals a "volume discount"...;)

12. briboy75

briboy75 New Member

Apr 16, 2004
    From what I understand thats not true. Mulitroom viewing will not be supported on Series 3, at first due to "Technical problems".

13. ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Maybe we TC members ought to pool our orders and try to get some kind of discount direct from TiVo. And maybe if our pre-order is big enough we could get it filled from the first shipment. :D

"I want my HD TiVo. I have money and I'm not afraid to use it." - Me

14. VinceA

VinceA Active Member

May 13, 2002
    Bayonne, NJ
    From whence comes this nugget of knowledge?

15. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    As I understand this, and I could be wrong, that the MRV would be between S3 units, but not between S2 and S3 TiVos. If I'm mistaken, feel free to correct.

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The "issue" TiVo was referring to at the show about MRV is related to the copyright flag technology that they have to conform to in order to get certified by Cable Labs (the people who control CableCARD). The only thing this might do to MRV functionality is prevent transfers of shows that the content provider explicitly marks as being non-transferable. Which, as of right now, is only being done on VOD and PPV channels and is illegal to do on OTA broadcast channels.

This is incorrect. According to sources at the show you should be able to transfer anything to, or from, a S2 unit except HD content. And that's only because the S2 units are incapable of actually playing HD content due to hardware limitations.

Dan

17. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    I certainly hope that this is true...Where have you heard rumblings about New Hampshire in March?

What makes New Hampshire so special, just curious? Sorry, just venting...I would beta test this in a heartbeat in the Twin Cities, MN....but I'm sure it's got to do with the program guide updates, etc., and the need to test within a given market, etc.

Anyway, the sooner the better. Given the statements around here, I easily expect that the Series 3s SAs will be inflated by $300-$400 for the first month or two to milk all the early-adopter salivating that's going around. If TiVo is smart, they'll only do it that long...

18. TivoZorro

TivoZorro New Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Pinehurst,...
    Does anyone know yet if the Series 3 will have dual tuners for analog cable? All I have is analog and would love to record two shows like Law & Order CI and Desperate Housewives at the same time on one Tivo.

19. headroll

headroll Let em' Roll

Jan 20, 2003
    Long...
    I will be replacing the 2 Series2 on the same TV with the 1 Series3 (we only have 2 for dual tuner functionality).

Since both are lifetime, I believe my out of pocket cost will be managable once they are sold off on e-bay, return the cable boxes and acquire cable-cards. Space will be substantially saved; 4 boxes to 1 (Woo Hoo!).

Moreover, the quoted standard size for the Series3 is in excess of the 2 Series2 combined.

My math may fail me once I figure that I will want a HD TV to support full functionality. :)

-Roll

20. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Yes, it can record from analog cable, and yes it can record two thing at once from analog cable.

Given the rumored price, it won't be a cheap way to do that, but it will certainly work for that.