TiVo Series 3!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jabd, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jan 6, 2006 #1 of 36
    jabd

jabd New Member

Aug 24, 2001
    Pittsburgh,...
  2. Jan 6, 2006 #2 of 36
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Note... Not a DirecTV unit... unless DirecTV announces a "CableCard" for DirecTV

3. Jan 6, 2006 #3 of 36
    jabd

jabd New Member

Aug 24, 2001
    Pittsburgh,...
    True but very exciting none the less.

I personally will follow TiVo whereever it goes. It's all about the software for me and none is equal to or better than TiVo.

4. Jan 6, 2006 #4 of 36
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    My post was more of a JAB at those that "kicked" the R15 disucssion else where...

When the unit is actually released to the market, I will try to evaluate it at that time.

A lot will depend on how well the local cable-co's complied with the CableCard standards.

5. Jan 6, 2006 #5 of 36
    Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    http://www.tivolovers.com/252572.html

More on this unit here, with more pictures.

The unit looks nice. I like the multi tuner thing like the HD DirecTiVo that exists now.

Unfortunately, as I want NFL Sunday Ticket, I'm stuck with DirecTV. I probably at some point in the future if I want HD have to go with their unit, unless TiVo ends up involved in their own box which can record DirecTV (unlikely).

6. Jan 6, 2006 #6 of 36
    Markman07

Markman07 Active Member

Jul 18, 2001
    Minnesota
    My issues also is with NFL ticket! They have locked me in because of this! I guess I could start watching soccer and join a fantasy soccer league.

7. Jan 6, 2006 #7 of 36
    TomK

TomK Active Member

May 22, 2001
    Huntsville,...
    Good thing I don't care at all about the NFL. That new Series 3 looks pretty sweet. :)

8. Jan 6, 2006 #8 of 36
    Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Will it work with D*? Will it give you dual tuners with D* If you have 2 sat recievers. Or will it only work with cable?

Edit: Nevermind it will probably cost an arm and a leg anyhow! :(

9. Jan 6, 2006 #9 of 36
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    No. That series 3 will only work with cable and antenna.
    It can recieve Analog a digital (unencrypted and Cablecard) cable, and digital ATSC (I never heard if it will support analog antenna.)

10. morgantown

morgantown DTV + Tvio = ;-)

Mar 29, 2005
    Wild...
    Yea, until DTV loses its monopoly on NFLST, I am not even looking. Even then, cable still sux here. Long live the DTiVo's!

I'll eventually move on to the R15 (or whatever replaces it) once I have a real reason to. I too like new toys, but the DTiVo's meet my current needs quite nicely.

Just $0.02...

11. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    The Series 3 has 2 cable ready NTSC (analog) tuners, 2 ATSC (digital/HD OTA) tuners, and space for 2 single stream (v1.1), or 1 multistream (v2.0), CableCard. Theoretically, you could use SD DirecTV receivers with the NTSC tuners, but the quality would be compromised.

The Series 3 will also have MPEG-4 capable encoders/decoders.

Personally, a CableCard interface for a DirecTV tuner device would seem to me to be a no-brainer, once CableCard starts to catch on. It will become a competitive requirement.

12. tfederov

tfederov M GO BLUE!!!

Jul 6, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Do you know something we don't? :D

13. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

Umm, how are you going to use any DTV receiver with the Series 3, since there's no IR or serial support to control the DTV box?

14. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    I believe that Dan was saying that once the cable industry adopts the CableCard, then the old hard-wired set-top boxes will likely disappear and only CableCard devices will exist.

The problem for the Cable industry and the CableCard people is that the Cable industry needs to understand that their ultimate salvation will be the CableCard and that they need to think in global concepts, not the GOOD OLD BOY local cable company rent a set-top box from us mentality.

There is a huge opportunity for the Cable industry to start taking back all of their subscriber losses to the Satellite industry over the last decade, with a CableCard device assault integrated with OnDemand. If they don’t take this opportunity to adopt the CableCard as their salivation and make it their universal interface, then they will continue to struggle against, because DirecTV and Dish are integrated services and could use that leverage to at least slow down their churn rate.

15. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    CableCard (the concept) is about 15 years over due.

Once we had "cable ready" devices, the cable-card should have started then....
    But of course the Cable-Co's wanted the easy money stream from the rental and sale of the boxes...

And they still do... Hence why we are probably seeing the dragging of the 2.0 standard.
    As once that is out, they can kiss their rental/sales good by for the set-top boxes pretty much for ever.

16. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Do you know Earl, if the CableCard 2.0 specification will allow PPV, PPV OnDemand, and bundled (FREE) OnDemand selections? If it doesn't then the cable industry doesn't understand what is at stake, and CableCards will be almost worthless.

17. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    My understanding of the Cablecard system is that the key to VOD and PPV support was multistreaming. The 1.0 CC spec was like the old unaddressable boxes, 2.0 is like addressable STBs (a very rough analogy).

The key advantage, IMO, of Cablecard is that it puts the UI in the hands of the CES manufacturers. This opens up lots of possibilities for integrating delivered content with locally stored content, including (but not restricted to) DVDs, JPEGs, MP3s, internet delivered content, etc. Instead of having multiple devices that must be integrated together, you have one pre-integrated device, and you just need to integrate the various content streams. The Series 3 TiVo is actually a crude example of this, integrating digital cable, digital OTA broadcast, and analog streams with locally stored digital content through MRV and HMO.

18. WeBoat

WeBoat Member

Nov 6, 2002
    SWFL
    Hummm A directv cablecard. It would have to be some kind of box that maybe connected to a cablecard interface. It would have to have the sat input cables connect to it and the ability to switch transponders. Doable, but not a simple cablecard.

My guess is no. We won't see one. Why would Directv do it? When they can just push their own "superier" (accodring to them) DVR's.

19. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    I would think there would be potentionally a higher profit margin on CC's. Once you start mass producing them CC's would be cheaper to make than a STB. The only STB's have going for them is that they have been around so long that the circuity is dirt cheap to make. But a CC does not need a large box to house it, power supplies, user interface ..., just decode signal and provide 2 way com path for advanced features (VOD, PPV etc.).

20. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    But the standalone Tivo's can't touch DTV on price. Every extra R10, 15, H10 that I install cost me only $5 extra a month today.

With the series 3 I have to pay to rent dual cable cards for each unit I install plus Tivo's higher monthly fee.

And that is after I have to pay hundreds of dollars to buy it the series 3. If speculation on pricing is even in the right ballpark then the H20's will be far cheaper to buy.

DTV will sell 10 H20's for every 1 Series 3 that Tivo sells. That will lower production costs for DTV. DTV also has deeper pockets for subsidizing the cost.

If you only have one TV and want one DVR then the series 3 competes better. But the more TV's you have the more expensive it gets to go with Tivo.