Tivo Series 3 vs Tivo HD????

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by audiowizard, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Aug 1, 2007 #1 of 21
    audiowizard

audiowizard New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    So what's the difference between the new cheaper Tivo HD and the original Series 3 HD?

Tivo product naming sucks. What do you miss out on with the Tivo HD, that you get in the Series 3 HD?

2. Aug 1, 2007 #2 of 21
    URPREY

URPREY Closet TiVo User

Sep 12, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    S3 has an OLED screen, THX certification, larger hard drive, a couple more outputs, and the glow remote.

3. Aug 1, 2007 #3 of 21
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    S3 currently has backdoor eSata enabled,
    TivoHD does not at this time.

Not saying both can't change, but for some that might be an important tidbit

4. Aug 1, 2007 #4 of 21
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    See the FAQ.

5. Aug 1, 2007 #5 of 21
    thomaslue

thomaslue New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Is there any chance that they will come out with an HD Tivo DVD recorder (like an HD version of the TOSHIBA RS-TX20) in the near future?

6. Aug 1, 2007 #6 of 21
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    In the near future? Probably not. HD-DVD and Blu-ray writers are still too expensive.

If Tivo is able to address the SDV issue, that is something I would look for in 2H 2008.

7. Aug 1, 2007 #7 of 21
    jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    What do the recorders have to do with SDV? Other than competition of human resources. (maybe I answered my own question).

In any case, I think you are optomistic. Hardware prices would have to come down quite a bit.

8. Aug 1, 2007 #8 of 21
    gthassell

gthassell Active Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Willowbrook, IL
    But perhaps a TiVo HD + HD-DVD (Player Only) might be available? Personally I'd jump all over a TiVo HD + HD-DVD Player combo.

Also, a TiVo HD + (standard) DVD-Burner would be great. I'd drop my expanded DRT-800 (with Lifetime) in a heartbeat for that combo. Only thing better would be all of that + and HD or BluRay player.

9. Aug 1, 2007 #9 of 21
    megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Doubtful. The new TiVo HD platform was designed with a lot of flexibility in mind - but I see no sign of support for an optical drive. The '3rd SATA' header seemed like a possibility, but consensus now is that it is simple a testing artifact and not a useful connection. And the case has holes in the sheet metal for a number of 'future' ports - but no such hole for an optical drive.

It doesn't look like any consideration was given to using the current board in a combo unit.

Now, someone could license the platform and modify it - which is how past DVD units were produced. But all of the DVD Combo units have been out of production for a while, and didn't last very long - only about a year for each model. Apparently they didn't sell well, and so were killed off. If sales really were poor, there is no incentive to make another one.

Any digital content, HD or not, would have to be transcoded into a DVD compatible format before being burned to disc. The new ViXS XCode-2115 *might* be able to do that.

I think it will be a while before we see another combo player, if ever. With the high costs of both Blu-ray and HD DVD components, it would make for an expensive combo. And with the format war still going, companies like TiVo are probably best waiting it out until HD DVD finally dies (which I think is inevitable) and BD component costs are down.

10. scustin

scustin New Member

May 26, 2007
    The hardware reviews for the HD indicate the new circuit board was designed to support multiple configurations.

A clearance of previous models appears to be under way. The series 2 doesn't comply with the new digital tuner rules so now carries a $150 rebate to clear stocks. Circuit City is discounting the S3 to $600, although BestBuy still has it at full price.

The fall home entertainment selling season begins in earnest around Labor Day. It will be interesting to see whether the prices drop further. If so, the choice might be between buying an S3 at $500 or wait to see if a second HD model shows up at that price point with a bigger hard drive, THX and other fancy features.

11. Status

Status New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Helpful thread, was going to ask this very same question. Sounds like there are pros and cons and the new TivoHD isn't the same as the original S3 with a smaller HD.

12. thechiz

thechiz New Member

Oct 2, 2005
    So the current TiVo HD uses software version 8.1.

Can anybody who has a TiVo HD hooked up to a computer network
    verify if you can see your jpg photos in "HD" resolution on your HDTV ?

13. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    just to clarify, the S2 doesn't, but the S2DT does (disabled or missing OTA tuner).

14. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    If Tivo HD's becomes really popular AND the HD DVD format ware is resolved, I can see a combined unit. Most folks don't like having to control all of these separate boxes hooked up to their TV. A Tivo with HD DVD (or Blu Ray) acting as the TV's tuner (ie forget the internal tuner) would do many folks fine.

15. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    If Tivo HD's becomes really popular AND the HD DVD format ware is resolved, I can see a combined unit. Most folks don't like having to control all of these separate boxes hooked up to their TV. A Tivo with HD DVD (or Blu Ray) acting as the TV's tuner (ie forget the internal tuner) would do many folks fine.

16. Teledatageek

Teledatageek Member

Jun 26, 2004
    So now I'm even more confused. I was all set to wait for an S3 price drop, then I read about the advantages of the HD (besides the price) and decide to go ahead and schedule Time Warner for the cable card install (next Saturday, 8/11).

But I go back and forth on pulling the trigger on an HD or not. I'm sick of not having a Tivo in the bedroom but on the other hand would be pissed if the S3 dropped to $400.00 (after a Father's day type rebate promo) in a month. If it was going to be longer than a month, I would get the HD now and forget about another S3.

I suppose to could get an HD at BestBuy and return it within 30 days should the S3 price drop happen.....

Thoughts/Advice?

17. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    In my opinion, the existence of the Tivo HD makes it less likely that the Series 2 units will drop significantly any time soon. I don't see such a difference in the two devices, aside from price. And, the closer they get in price, the less the need for two devices at all. Toyota wouldn't price a Camry and a Lexus GSwhatever at $1000 apart. I don't see the two Tivo models getting within $200 until possibly around Christmas. Perhaps not even then. So, make your decision and live with it. Eventually, whatever unit you end up with will be much cheaper than the day you bought it. That's how electronics work....

18. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    Verified. Works the same as on the S3 (native 720p, not as good as other HD photo viewers out there).

19. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    TiVo told me they have no plans to drop the price on the original S3 at this time.

20. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    That it a surprise, and almost unbelievable. their wholesale price to major retailers is about $510, so there's not much room for major discounting by them.