Tivo Series 3 restarting

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by matrix1977, Aug 22, 2008.

1. matrix1977

matrix1977 New Member

Sep 26, 2006

Advertisements

Gents,
    I've had my Series 3 since it first came out. So far I have not had any problems with it until recently. Over the last month the Tivo has started acting up. First it was a intermediate problem with the unit freezing up on standard def channels, hd worked fine. Now the unit has started to reboot constantly and has gotten to the point where you can't even watch TV with the Tivo unit hooked up. I've read some of the threads on similar problems, but was wondering if there was a more definitive solution to what is happening? Is my unit going bad? Is it the cable cards? Does my unit need to be sent in for repair? Any help you could provide me on this would be grateful. Like I've said I did a little research and from what I could find, there wasn't a definitive solution for this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom

PS. I need my Tivo back!!!!

2. Beachbum55

Beachbum55 New Member

Jan 1, 2004
    Sounds like another mysterious hard drive failure. Sun spots, increased electromagnetic fields...just plain weird.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=361087

I think you have two options. Call Tivo to arrange to send the S3 back for a refurb or try replacing the HD. Both options are a pain...I know, I just went through the same thing. In my case, the refurb S3 was the way to go.

3. matrix1977

matrix1977 New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Do you know if they will transfer my lifetime warranty over the replacement unit?

4. Beachbum55

Beachbum55 New Member

Jan 1, 2004
    If you bought your S3 from a retailer (i.e. Best Buy) and purchased a lifetime warranty from them, then you'll probably need to work with them regarding the replacement. Most likely, they'll have to provide you with an TIVO HD, as I don't think you can buy the S3 retail anymore.

5. matrix1977

matrix1977 New Member

Sep 26, 2006

Advertisements

I read through a lot of those threads on just upgrading your HD and they say it should fix the problem. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this matter ?

6. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    There is a very good chance that replacing your HD with correct the problem.

You can always pull your drive and connect to your PC and run a disk check on it (like Hitachi's Diaganostic Tool or WD's). That should tell you if the drive is having problems or not.

7. madneon

madneon Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Ft. Bragg NC
    Sorry to say I had the Exact same problem 3 referb Tivo's later I swapped the HD running fine since if you can swap a pc HD you can do the tivo's

8. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Well, it's hard to accurately diagnose over a forum, but you can try replacing the HDD, and it is extremely easy if the OS sectors are not bad. You can get all the instructions in the "Official eSATA..." thread above. Read the first post. It is long and detailed, but you will learn a lot and find everything you need. The step-by-step instructions are easy and perfect. Here is a short version:
    1. Download newest version of WinMFS
    2. Pull drive from your S3 and connect it to your PC (must be XP SP1 or higher)
    3. Start WinMFS and do a truncated backup
    4. Shut down PC
    5. Disconnect S3 drive and connect new SATA drive.
    6. Boot PC and use WinMFS to restore the backup to the new drive.
    7. Shut down PC and put the drive back in the S3 and boot it up - if it works fine, you are done!

Good luck,
    Goose

9. matrix1977

matrix1977 New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    I upgraded the drive to the suggested WD 1 TB drive and it fixed all my problems. Upgrade was very simple. Thanks for everyone's help!!!:D:up::D:up::D:up::D

10. Psykoboy2

Psykoboy2 New Member

Sep 3, 2008
    So, umm...what is that suggested WD 1TB drive?

11. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
  12. Psykoboy2

Psykoboy2 New Member

Sep 3, 2008
    See, my Series 3 just had the restarting bug itself. I'm guessing a bad HDD, but how can I be sure?

I ran the K57 thing to no avail. Anything else I should try before plopping down for a new HDD and going through those motions?

13. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Do you have a newer PC with internal sata ports? You could put the HDD in your PC and run a manufacturer's diagnostics (Hitachi Fitness Test or Western Digital Diagnostic). That will tell you if the drive is failing. If the drive reports good, you could try reimaging using InstantCake ($20). That will wipe all settings and recordings though.

If the drive is bad, I would first attempt to backup/restore to a new drive using WinMFS. If that fails, then you will have to use InstantCake on a new drive (or buy a preformatted drive from Weaknees,DVRUpgrade,etc).

14. Psykoboy2

Psykoboy2 New Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Odd situation. My series 3 was doing the same thing. A constant reboot loop. I finally unplugged it and left it that way for a few days. Tonight, on a whim, I plugged it back in and wha-la - it now works.

Am I on borrowed time here or what?

15. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    It amazed me how easy doing the upgrade was. Plus all that extra space is way cool.
    To everyone having a hd problem, just upgrade to a bigger HD, you will be glad you did. You can even transfer all your old recordings to your new hd.