TiVo series 3 reboots eratically and frequently

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by reganDog, Feb 19, 2007.

1. reganDog

reganDog New Member

Feb 19, 2007

Advertisements

I purchased my TiVo Series 3 HD in October 2006 after waiting, as we all did, for 2 years!!

I had my cable company install 2 cable cards.

I use TiVo’s wireless adaptor as I do not have a land telephone line to hook up to.

I had my tech guy remove my CD player and my VCR and wire everything up for me.

I had my computer tech guy (Tim) on site when the cable guy (from Cox cable) and other electronics guy (Mike) were here so that they could all talk their special language to each other and try and out-geek each other and get everything cabled and hooked up correctly.

Here’s the problem and it keeps getting progressively worse:

The TiVo keeps rebooting! There is no warning, it just shuts itself off and reboots. Up until this morning it would reboot and then all would be OK for a while.

This morning it won’t even complete the reboot process. It gets as far as “gathering channel information” and then it shuts itself off and starts all over again.

I, at the suggestion of TiVo, removed the wireless adaptor from the equation for a week and there were no problems for a week. I plugged it back in after a week. I thought that maybe I needed a new adaptor. ($60.00) However, this morning, I have tried it both ways: with and without the adaptor and the same thing happens: it won’t complete the reboot process. It can’t get past the “gathering channel information” stage.

I have called the cable company and they are coming out tomorrow to check their cards and connections.

I have a phone call in to my tech guy to come out and check his cabling and connections.

Without getting too technical on me, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that I can offer the technicians? Is anyone else having this problem?

There are a lot of moving parts here and I am at a loss as to how to go about this. Obviously TiVo is not going to replace the unit. Maybe they will take it back and check it out though? I can’t call them yet….too early in the AM. I figured there are probably some wonderfully talented techies up and at their computers already and maybe I can get a heads up on how to go about this.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Carol in Phoenix

2. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    You can try this procedure from weaknees to see if it helps:

http://www.********.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390

We have had a number of inquiries from Series3 owners reporting frequent rebooting and restarting. This problem sometimes occurs after a power outage or after the Series3 has been powered down. It sometimes happens with units that have off-air antennas attached. Here are some suggestions for solving the problem; please post your experiences.

1) If your TiVo has CableCARDs, and if it has been working fine but suddenly starts rebooting/restarting, please try the following:

A. Unplug the TiVo and remove the CableCARDs. Be sure to note which card came from which slot. The cards are NOT interchangeable.

B. Power up the TiVo without the CableCARDs installed.

C. The TiVo will display a message saying that your setup has changed. Go to the messages and setup / system reset menu and choose Repeat Guided Setup. Set up the TiVo with cable WITHOUT CableCARDs.

D. Insert CableCARD one onto the bottom slot and navigate to the CableCARD configuration screen. Once your CableCARD is authorized (or once you are able to see a digital/scrambled station in LiveTV), repeat the process for card 2.

E. Once you have both cards authorized, then repeat Guided Setup, telling the TiVo that you have cable with CableCARDs.

2) If you have an off-air antenna and your unit reboots (especially if the rebooting occurs with specific channels), you might try unplugging the antenna and see if the problem resolves itself.

Jeff

3. George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    Version 8.1 of the software should fix the reboot issue.

4. reganDog

reganDog New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Thank you Jeff. I had been told that by a techno savvy friend of mine. I am not comfortable doing that myself and will wait for the cable guy to come tomorow. I really appreciate your speedy reply.

5. dbenrosen

dbenrosen New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

You may have to rerun guided setup selecting Antenna Only. I've had the problem, since fixed with the new 8.1 software you should be getting soon, and rerunning guided setup selecting cable after having removed the CableCARDs worked until I put the CableCARDs back in, which started the reboot loop all over again. Rerunning with Antenna Only always worked.

6. BruceShultes

BruceShultes Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    I found no reason to remove the cable cards.

Whenever, my S3 went into the constant boot cycle, I just ran Guided Setup selecting antenna only and then ran it again choosing both antenna and cable.

With 8.0.1c, this was necessary whenever the S3 was booted. Now that 8.1.1S has been installed, the S3 boots with no problem.

7. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    But some people were not able to get to the guided setup without removing the cards.

8. Ivomir

Ivomir New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    The Tivo going into endless reboot loop after a restart is indeed fixed with version 8.1. If you don't have it yet you should get it in the next couple of days (it's already being deployed and many people including me have it).

The other issue - the Tivo reboots on its own when connected to the wireless adapter is something else. It may or may not be fixed with the new software. I'd suggest you wait until you get 8.1 and try it.

9. fl_dba

fl_dba New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Lakeland,FL
    I had just recently started having my S3 reboot a couple of times a day. It continued to do this even after the 8.1 upgrade. So i tried powering down and removing the cable cards and powing back up and going through guided setup WITHOUT the cable cards or OTA installed (just basic cable) and reboots continued. So, if the problem wasn't caused by the CC's I had to consider that maybe I have a bad hard drive so I next did a clear and delete everything restart which I hoped would format the HD and fix any bad sectors. After that completed (took a long time) I went through the guided setup and reinstalled the cable cards but not OTA. No reboots so far but too soon to tell since I haven't recorded anything yet. If it fails now I won't have any choice but to request a replacement from Tivo. Also, removing and reinstalling the CC's lost their authorization so I have to go through that hell again!

10. xc04

xc04 New Member

Dec 26, 2006
    I suffered from the reboot problem on both of my units, to the point where I could not even use the CableCards. They never stopped rebooting. Customer support told me it was due to bad CableCards (of course).

I wrote a letter to Tivo's CEO in December about this, and told I would be prioritized for the update. I had not received it by last Friday and was told there was absolutely no way anyone in customer support could send me the update early. Unfortunately had to go through senior management to get it done, but I did receive the update and it did fix the problem.

I am happy to say that I can now use the units. :up:

My suggestion to the OP would be either to wait for the update, or contact Tivo to try to have it sent. I would not suggest changing the wiring or CableCards because, in my case, the issue seemed to be something in the Tivo software and NOT my setup.

Xc :cool:

11. reganDog

reganDog New Member

Feb 19, 2007

I do not have 8.1.15 yet. I'm guessing it will be downloaded automatically? I do not have an antenna, otherwise I would have tried that. The info that Jeff gave me worked fine!

Thanks for your response.

12. reganDog

reganDog New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    I did as Jeff suggested and removed the cable cards and went through the guided setup without, and then with, the cards. For the moment, all seems to be working OK.

13. reganDog

reganDog New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    I removed the cable cards and then went thorugh the guided set up wthtout, and then with, the cards. For the moment, everything seems to be working.

Thanks for your resonse.

14. reganDog

reganDog New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    I'm guessing that 8.1 will be downloaded automatically?

15. reganDog

reganDog New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Thanks Jeff. This seems to have solved the problem, for the moment anyway.

Thanks for your help.

16. reganDog

reganDog New Member

Feb 19, 2007
    I don't have an antenna but thanks for the response anyway.

17. dbenrosen

dbenrosen New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    New Jersey
    The fact that you don't have an antenna is irrelevant. I don't have one either, but the TiVo doesn't know it. The only way, before 8.1, I could get it to stop was to run guided setup selecting Antenna Only.

Glad you were able to get it stopped.