Tivo Series 3 No Audio on Digital Channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Cherylabq, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1 of 29
    Cherylabq

Cherylabq New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    First things first...

Live in Albuquerque, NM
    Tivo Series 3
    Comcast (2 cable cards)

I was one of the "first adopters" of the Series 3 HD Tivos. I went through hours of frustration with Comcast before finally pairing the cable cards up correctly. It's been a "dream" up until now.

It appears that "something" has changed. I'm guessing it's a Tivo software issue as I didn't have a problem until lately.

I do not get sound on ANY of my digital channels as of this week. I went into the Tivo settings menu and switched my Dolby setting to the Dolby Digital to PCM:

Messages and Setup > Settings > Audio > Dolby Digital

Then put the checkmark next to "Dolby Digital to PCM" as opposed to where it used to be (Dolby Digital).

I now get sound on the digital channels but cannot use our 5.1 surround.

Anyone have this issue and figure out some way to keep good sound?

Thanks!

2. Aug 8, 2007 #2 of 29
    legendarybc

legendarybc SDV is FUBAR'ed

Dec 17, 2006
    North Canton OH
    Check out these things:

1) I assume you have a receiver? If so, is the optical cable correctly inserted? Sometimes they fall out. Also, is the optical input on the receiver assigned to the correct input? In other words, if you are on "video 1" is the receiver's optical mapped to "video 1"?
    2) do you have analog audio outputs running from the Tivo to your receiver? The receiver might be set to analog outputs instead of looking for the digital one?

Let us know,
    BC

3. Cherylabq

Cherylabq New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    We only have a digital cable (and some of the normal channels got sound). We also have inputs right. Thanks for helping.

4. Cherylabq

Cherylabq New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    To clarify...we use ONE cable and it is a digital one and since we get sound on our analog channels with it, we don't think it's a problem PLUS...We've had no problems since we purchased it (We bought a series 3 the day it was available--we've had sound on all channels until the past few weeks). To sum up...it is a RECENT issue, due, most likely, to a software update Tivo made (??) I can't think of any other reason why things would change.

5. slimoli

slimoli New Member

Jul 29, 2005
    I have a feeling it's not the S3 but the cableco changing audio from AC3 to MPEG. Tune to one of those "no audio channels" and press info on the S3 remote. Check the audio symbol and see if it shows any 'alternate audio'. If it does, click on it and see if the audio comes back.

The S3 will always select the Ac3 track if it is present but sometimes the cable co changes the audio on some channels to MPEG but keeps the AC3 track with no audio.

Sergio

6. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Thanks Sergio - this actually solved my problem with FX losing audio also! Geez, I didn't even know alternate audio was an option :eek:

7. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I had recorded the 2 eps of Knights of Prosperity last week and when I went to watch, found they had music, background noise, but no dialogue track. Frustrated, I just deleted them. Now I'm going to try undeleting and seeing if the alternate audio contains the dialogue.

Thanks for the handy tip slimoli!

8. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Fox Sports had this problem for a short while earlier this year, some of the A's games on it were mute, until I saw suggestions about trying the alternate audio. It seems that they were not sending some flags in the signal correctly identify the autio format.

9. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Does anyone know if it is possible to LOCK your choice in - with the new FX problem it appears that everytime a new show comes on (every 30 or 60 minutes)
    - the audio stream goes back to the original mpeg choice (meaning NO AUDIO).

Which kindof defeats TiVo if it's going to record programs - the only way to watch what you want would be live or to change the audio as a new show starts recording.

10. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Doesn't the TiVo record all the audio streams even if you only happen to be listening to one? Like how it records the close captioning even if you don't use it?

11. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    It doesn't appear to - I recorded Damages last night on FX with no sound and the info button doesn't give me any options to change the audio stream.

12. macsamurai

macsamurai TiVoSamurai Too!

Dec 30, 2001
    Brooklyn...
    I'm having the same audio problem with FX in NYC (Time Warner). Recorded Damages last night - no sound when I just went to watch it. I clicked over to FX on live TV and still no sound (Deuce Bigalow was on, so having no sound was a good thing in that instance!) Since I have Rescue Me scheduled on the same channel tonight, I decided to see if anyone else had reported a problem and sure enough, several of you have :(

I feel better knowing it's not TiVo or the Cable Cards crapping out, but I'd love to know how to solve this problem permanently so I can continue to record Damages and Rescue without worrying about whether the audio will be there or not when I go to play it back.

13. Derow

Derow New Member

May 20, 2005
    Same problem with TWC on channel 37 (FX). TWC sent a signal to both cable cards with no change. On hold now with Tivo and waiting to see what happens at 10:00 when Rescue Me goes on. Planning to be away on vacation next week and would like to leave confident that my FX shows will record with sound. Will update if any luck with Tivo, but they were having trouble just comprehending my problem, much less trying to fix it.

UPDATE: Yes, Deuce Bigelow was much better without the sound. I used the fix described above and was able to watch FX, but the Tivo rep was unable to help me out other than to recommend I remove and replace my cable cards and then disconnect me. I'm out all day tomorrow, but if someone can get a supervisor at TWC, they might have an explanation.

14. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Hey fellow TWC NYC users - follow Sergio's instructions from up above.

Press the info button and scroll down to the audio and change the audio stream until you get one that gives you sound.

As I said - unfortunately, it's only a LIVE TV fix - meaning if you don't do it to watch the show live or do it at the beginning of the show live and record that you won't get audio.

FX on TWC NYC has definitely changed their audio output.

If anyone knows of a permanent solution let us know!
    I have contacted TWC (who of course immediately blamed TiVo) and also emailed FX customer service.

15. macsamurai

macsamurai TiVoSamurai Too!

Dec 30, 2001
    Brooklyn...
    Wondering if anyone else has gotten any traction on this with Time Warner or FX? I've reported the problem to both, but have gotten no resolution. The audio track switch on live TV is all fine and dandy, but being NOT home and in front of the TV at exactly the same time Damages and/or Rescue Me starts is precisely why I have TiVo ;)

16. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    Im in Ann Arbor MI with Comcast running a TivoHD with a Motorola M card. I can not get sound on ESPN HD or TNT HD, I can select the alternate audio and still do not recieve sound. I also went in to the settings and changed from Dolby Digital to the Dolby Digital to Pcm and still can not recieve any audio on these channels. Any ideas? Is this my cable CO fault or the cable cards?

Another weird thing is sometimes on my Discovery Theatre HD channel the audio is lagging behind the video feed. Thanks

17. microkitty

microkitty New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Boston
    I have similar symptoms which seem to be temporarily fixable with a system restart. Things now "sort of" work, but there's still a problem (Series 3, Motorola CableCARDs).

Check the CableCARD settings; yesterday the settings got messed up somehow, and after a call with TiVo and then my cable company (RCN) they were unable to reset the CableCARD. It appears they have to send a technician out. I am worried that there's something wrong with the TiVo's relationship with the CableCARDs.

The sign something is wrong is if the CableCARD Pairing menu says you need to call the cable provider to activate.

18. superbill

superbill New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    I also do not get sound on National Geographic (Knology) and a few other channels nearby. The only way to get the sound is to physically change the audio settings on the info screen. However, once you switch channels or a new show comes on it reverts back to no sound.

Therefore, I am unable to record anything on these channels. There must be fix out there, but no one has given it to any of us. Please do not say reboot or change the sound setting because we have already tried this and it does not fix the problem.

p.s. I do not have any pixelization. I have an S3 with the most current updates.

Someone please help us.

19. rehr0001

rehr0001 New Member

Sep 17, 2006
    This has been an issue from day 1. There is no workaround other than to forgo DD on the Tivo.

What kind of receiver do you use? I use an HK AVR 8000. I believe people were reporting issues with the B&K seperates as well.

There is some problem w/ the tivo and the DD decoder on our receivers. In my case, if I cycle through the different DSP modes (IE, DTS, Logic 7, etc) and back to DD, that will also bring back sound until I change a channel or go into a Tivo menu.

20. superbill

superbill New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    What we need is a way to permanently switch the audio setting so the sound will work. Even switching the master sound setting to PCM will not fix the problem.

I use my good old Sony HDTV for sound, which has never had a problem with DD sound before TiVo.

We need Tivo to get us a fix. Isn't that part of the reason we pay them. If we can use there product for all channel like it was envisioned to do so, isn't TiVo doing no better than the cable companies are with cable cards.

I just want a fix and I am sure if TiVo committed to finding one they could, but apparently they are not committed to it.