Tivo Series 3 Lite... Use in Canada?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by scrutman, Jul 17, 2007.

1. scrutman

scrutman New Member

Mar 14, 2006

Advertisements

Hey everyone...

I'm loving the specs that the Tivo S3 Lite seems to be getting...

Since the launch of the S3 back in Sept 06, us Canadians were pretty much screwed for decent HD recording off a Tivo... due to the use of CableCards which do not exist in Canada from any cable company.

Will I be able to buy a series 3 lite and not use cable cards? Can I have an HD box submitting the feed of HD to the tivo S3, as well as receiving digital channels as well as the basic channels from 2-72 or so?

I am hoping so... I love Tivo and the price of a SHAW PVR is 749.00 which has no comparison to what TIVO brings to my home (currently a s2 holder)...

I hope its possible.

Any ideas?

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    that spec has not changed - to get HD you have to have access to the direct digital feed. A cable company HD box does not output the digital stream but the HD info to display on the screen.

3. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Cablecards are only necessary for QAM channels. Canadian Cablecompanies may use QAM channels through a STB. No sure if such is the case.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    All cable is QAM. Cablecard just provides access to encrypted channels and channel mapping.

Nearly all Canadian cable providers used the same cable technology that the USA uses, namely Scientific Atlanta or Motorola based systems.

At this time CableCards, are voluntary in Canada, and to date no provider has volunteered to openly offer them.

So then, the Series 3 Lite doesn't change things in that capacity.

And to add, TiVo doesn't yet offer listings for digital OTA in Canada, so in tht regard, any Series 3 won't work for OTA digital.

5. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto

Advertisements

What classicat said ... EXCEPT, you can set up your S3 in Canada to access OTA guide data from a neigbhoring U.S. city as I did. I now have a fully functioning S3 with guide data for all U.S. OTA ATSC stations (a dozenish). The downside to this approach is I can no longer use it for recording analogue cable from my Toronto cable provider. So, I purchased an S2 for that for now.

One other thing, My S3 can tune into and record from dozens of QAM stations from digital cable service. The problem is that TiVo does not provide guide data for QAM and there is no QAM mapper funtion in TiVo where I can say chanel 702.1 is Global TV for instance. If I could manually map then my S3 COULD record digital channels from my Rogers cable without a digital settop box. Note that all of these unencrypted channels are all broadcast stations. But they are broadcast stations from across Canada so it would be really sweet if I could manually map these channels. TiVo once hinted that a manua mapping function may be added in the future but I wouldn't hold your breath. Click on the blog link in my footer below if you want to know more about this.

I'd love an S3 lite that could do ATSC OTA and access digital and analogue from a cable box via an IR blaster as is the case with the S2s. But, given that it is a "lite" product, it is unlikely to do something the non-lite box can't do.

...Dale