Tivo Series 2

Discussion in 'Buyer/Seller Area' started by hsmith, May 30, 2018.

1. hsmith

hsmith New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Upstate New...

Advertisements

I have an old Tivo Series 2, without lifetime service. I used it for several years with no problems, but eventually replaced it with a DVR from the cable company. So it's been sitting on a shelf for several years now, unused and not plugged in. However, it is scratch- and dust-free and I believe it is still in good working order. I also have the original peanut remote control and a SpeedStream USB Ethernet Adapter. (See linked photos).

Imgur Imgur Imgur Imgur

My questions are:

1. Is this machine worth anything today if, e.g., I tried to sell it on eBay?

2. Is it capable of recording OTA signals from an antenna? (I assume that there would be no grid-style program guide that way).

-- Hank

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    A similar inquiry that might prove informative: Tivo Series 2.

Sadly, worth little--parts.

3. hsmith

hsmith New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Upstate New...
    Thanks for pointing out the other thread, Mike. That's what I was afraid the answer would be.

Is there a market for just the peanut remote?

-- Hank

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I would think so--remotes can get wonky or just old-looking over time. I actually had looked into getting a replacement Series2 remote years back (but ended up upgrading to a new box).

A possibility: offer the box + accessories on eBay and include a "Make your best offer" option. If that doesn't work, offer the remote alone, similarly. If I recall correctly, when I had looked at remotes a few years ago, I was finding them at around $10-$15 on the low end (perhaps a few were below that?).