TiVo Series 2 work without service plan?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tjbrewers, Jun 1, 2011.

1. tjbrewers

tjbrewers New Member

May 29, 2011
    Not sure if this is the right place in the forum for this question; so I apologize if it is not.

A friend is giving me a Series 2 that I want to use for OTA, i.e. to watch live TV and record. I don't need any of the other cool features that come with the monthly/lifetime service plans. Will this box work for me without a service plan?

Thank you! :)

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Nope. All you can do is watch live tv. You can pause/rewind/fast forward with 30 minutes of buffered storage, but that is all.

No way to save new recordings. No program guide.

3. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I though you could still manually set recordings without a subscriptions, just like a VCR.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Plus, you can also watch pre-recorded shows. But to be able to record, you need a subscription.

Also, You would need a digital converter box to be able to receive OTA on a Series 2. If its a Series 2 Dual tuner model, its meant for cable and not OTA.

Tivo models that can record from OTA without a converter box are the Series 3/HD/HD XL or Premiere/XL. And, yes, these require subscription as well.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Only on some of the Series 1 Philips models made before, if I remember correctly, October of 2000.

Not to be confused with the, if I remember correctly, January 2000 or before grandfathered one-time-only lifetime transfer provision.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    On other than the Toshiba and Pioneer Series 2 DVD units, all standalone Series 2/3/4 TiVos require subscription to even manually record.

Series 1 generally manufactured before October 2001 (nearly all Philips, some Sony SVR2000), are elgible to record without subscription.