TiVo series 2 unable to load program data

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lvirden, Oct 21, 2011.

1. lvirden

lvirden New Member

Jul 29, 2003
    ohio
    So, I have been trying for over a week to get my tivo series 2 to load program information.

I have restarted.
    I have shut off power and started up
    I have kickstarted with a 54 - the tivo passes the short tests for the 2 devices that my tivo has (dev a and b).
    I have kickstarted wtih a 57.
    I have tried to kickstart with a 58, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Each time, when I try to load data, somewhere along the process the tivo just hangs. NORMALLY, it hangs after downloading the guide and disconnecting. It displays a "preparing to load" or whatever the wording is message but never progresses from there.

I have had this tivo for about 8 years, so it isn't like I haven't gotten a lot of use out of it.

I just hate to go without a tivo, and to buy a new tivo with a lifetime subscription is non-trivial (if it is even possible right now).

I don't have a set up at home to allow me to get the recordings off my tivo and onto a hard drive (sigh). I have tried reading about how to set it up, but for some reason, my brain seems to have some issues interpreting the characters into a form that my brain understands.

I _could_ just start over, losing all the stuff on the disk. But before I resort to losing some things I really would rather not lose, I wondered if anyone knew of any other options to consider which were less drastic.

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I suspect one of the hard drives is going bad, or has developed a bad sector.

Have you tried the "Clear Program information and To Do List" option in the Settings menu?

That's all I can suggest from what it reads like you are prepared to deal with.

Even if you do a "Clear and Delete Everything", the Now Playing list of shows remains intact.

3. lvirden

lvirden New Member

Jul 29, 2003
    ohio
    Oh! When I talked to Tivo support on the phone, they told me that doing the clear and delete would delete my programs.

At this point, all the program info will be gone in another day, so I will fiddle till then and then try that.

Will it delete all the info about the shows that I am recording? If so, then I guess I will have to write all that down.

4. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I stand corrected about the Clear and Delete Everything. This will delete recorded shows.

However, "Clear Program Information" does not. Recorded shows remain.