Tivo Series 2 Single Tuner with HDMI

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by nxtbigthng, Aug 19, 2007.

1. nxtbigthng

nxtbigthng New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    I bought a house with one HDMI cable running between two walls. This works fine for connecting my TV to my Directv receiver.

What is the easiest, cheapest, or best solution to connect my TIVO series 2 to my Directv receiver and TV?

I can connect the satellite receiver to the Tivo with S-video, components, etc., but I am having trouble converting the output from the series 2 so that it can be sent to my TV.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Would something like this work - a 3-Port DVI Audio USB & PS2 Combo KVM Switch with Cables from Monoprice (image attached from the monoprice website - since I can not post a link).

I am guessing that the Series 2 could connect to this device with USB and the output of this device (and the Series 2) would be converted from DVI to HDMI with an adapter or cable?

To clarify::

A HDMI cable runs between two walls and drywall was placed over the cable for a "clean" look (I assume). There was no coaxial cable or other connection run along with the HDMI.

As a result, I have a HDMI cable behind drywall that enables me to connect my satellite receiver to my TV. However, I would love to add my series 2 to my existing setup.

Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Vidfreaky

Vidfreaky New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Why would you not just run composite or S-Video to your TV?

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    That device is a simple DVI KVM switch. It just switches input for output. Since USB (from the TiVo or likely that unit) doesn't carry video, there is no way or need for it to convert that.

You can get A/V receivers that will switch HDMI, and convert S-video to HDMI.

4. Vidfreaky

Vidfreaky New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    In order to do what you actually want to do, you would need a device such as this. The question is WHY would you want to convert it to HDMI. You wouldn't get any better quality, in fact, if you're running any lenth (over 15' or so) you'll very likely get less quality since the HDMI signal degrades very quickly unless you're using very expensive cable.

Just run it composite or S-Video and save yourself a LOT of money and get the same result/quality.

5. nxtbigthng

nxtbigthng New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Thank you for suggesting that device.

The reason that I am not running S-video is because the HDMI cable is already behind the wall. The TV is above a fireplace mounted to the wall. The HDMI cable runs behind that wall to an adjacent wall. The satellite receiver connects to a HDMI outlet/connector on that adjacent wall.

I could physically connect a S-video cable from the Tivo to my TV, but then you have a wire hanging down the wall.

If necessary, I guess that I could rip out the drywall, run the appropriate video/audio cables in addition to the HDMI, and then replace the drywall and paint.

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Why not just call DirecTV and get a free HD DVR with an HDMI output?

7. nxtbigthng

nxtbigthng New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Thank you for that suggestion. I have considered the Directv HD DVR.

I wanted to keep the Series 2 because it has the lifetime service, many wishlists, and tons of saved programming.

I posted this thread to explore my options.

It seems my options are (in order of preference) to:

(a) order a Directv HD DVR;

(b) buy a S-video to HDMI converter/scaler to transform S-video to HDMI output;

(c) tear out the drywall, add additional wires, and replace and repaint the drywall; or

(d) hook up the Series 2 and have an exposed S-video wire on the wall.

I will keep checking this thread to see if any new suggestions pop up, but as of now, it seems that we have a complete list. Thank you to the above posters for your input and help.

8. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    How about one of those wireless 2.4 or 5.8 ghz video senders? That could work if the devices are close enough.

9. Vidfreaky

Vidfreaky New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    If you've only got the one line running to your TV and you can't add anymore, then adding the S-Video converter only gets your TiVo into your TV and you're going to have the same problem with your DVD player, Sat dish/cable box, game console, etc.

What I'd probably do is buy a receiver that can handle upconverting all my inputs to HDMI and use that to switch so you don't have to worry about this again.

Something like this.