Tivo Series 2 HD Question -- Access to new DirecTV HD Programming Possible?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by iomega, Oct 3, 2007.

1. iomega

iomega New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Hi everyone,

I have a DirecTV Tivo Series2 HR10-250. The software version is 6.3c-01-2-357. I read recently about a bunch of new HD channels that are starting to become available on DirecTV, including TBS in HD. Yes, I'm a Cubs fan and want to see my Cubbies stomp the Diamondbacks in HD quality. :)

I spoke to a DirecTV representative earlier today and she informed me that my current Tivo does not allow for me to receive these new channels. This struck me as odd. I already get ESPN HD, TNT HD, HDNM, etc. plus all of the regular broadcast channels (CBS, NBC, etc.) in HD just fine. Why would I need to upgrade my Tivo to receive these new chennels (i.e. TBS, Sci-fi, etc.)?

DirecTV isn't charging me anything for the "upgrade" and a technician is scheduled to come out in two weeks to do the install. I don't want to lose all of the programming currently on my Tivo as you can imagine.

Can someone verify that I do in fact need this hardware upgrade?

Thank you.

2. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    Yes you do need a hardware upgrade. There are two reasons for this.

1. The new HD satellites are KA-Band, which the HR10-250 cannot tune.
    2. The new HD channels are MPEG-4, which the HR10-250 cannnot decode.

You'll also need a new dish as well that is able to receive from the new satellites.

3. iomega

iomega New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Great, thank you for the reply. I wasn't aware of the potential dish requirement. I'll call DirecTV to verify and will make sure that's part of the new installation.

4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    You could always keep the DirecTiVo on the side, and use it to watch shows already recorded on it, while simply not having it as an active receiver on your account.