TiVo Series 2 Freezing Up...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by petersjx, Dec 17, 2005.

  1. petersjx

    petersjx New Member

    Nov 18, 2005


    Hi, I am new to this board...I hope you can help me out.

    I just got a refurb Series 2 from TiVo after my original unit started randomly freezing up (video and audio, remote non-responsive) over and over again. Finally the original unit put up a green screen that said "TiVo has detected a serious problem and is attempting to fix it...this may take more than 3 hours." It never worked at all after that...random re-starts, freeze-ups, etc. Now my replacement box is doing the same kind of freeze-ups. Any ideas?? TiVo support didn't seem to have any. It's running with a Comcast digital cable box. Using phone line, not networked. My other TiVo unit (also with Comcast digital cable box) has been running fine.

  2. funtoupgrade

    funtoupgrade New Member

    Mar 15, 2005
    Tell Tivo you want another refurbed unit and send it back.
  3. lgondelman

    lgondelman New Member

    Apr 2, 2002
    I had the EXACT same issue. I just sent back the refurbished unit they sent me and am waiting for a second unit. I thought it was extremely unacceptable and unprofessional that they would send me back a non working unit. I told them I would not wait for them to issue me a shipping label and wait another month after that to get my unit back. So after speaking (yelling) at a supervisor, I got them to agree to ship me out a unit once provided them with a tracking number for the broken unit I was sending back. That was on Thursday. They send they were sending it out expedited. We'll see what happens now. I have been a loyal Tivo customer almost from day one, and am considering getting a second Comcast DVR instead of continuing to deal with this.
  4. johnsonbx

    johnsonbx New Member

    Jan 15, 2006
    Just bought a Tivo refurb for the bedroom. Have had one in the front room for years, and love it. The new one won't run for more than a few minutes before freezing. Took me 5 restarts to make it through setup. I stuck with it, thinking that if I can make it far enough to get a software upgrade, it might start running. So far no luck. Anyone know if this problem can be fixed (ie should I bother fiddling with it and talking to tech support) or should I just send it back?

Share This Page

spam firewall