Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner ( S2 DT) locking up more often now?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by montyny, Mar 15, 2011.

1. montyny

montyny New Member

Jan 25, 2008

Advertisements

Hello,
    I was wondering if there are others out there still using the dual tuner?

I've noticed over the last couple of months that the TiVo is 'crashing' more often than it ever used to. When I say crashing everything but the channel up/down buttons stop working. No parental controls, no select button, no pause etc, etc.

Only way to get out of this is a hard reboot.

I'm guessing there was some update pushed through that started this. Ironically I upgraded to lifetime service a couple of months ago as my 2 or 3 year initial contract expired. I'm probably just being paranoid - but is this TiVo's way of getting me to buy a new unit :)

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    It may be IR interference. Have you added CFL lights or a new TV? The power saving mode and backlight settings on some flatscreens can cause that kind of problem.

The next time it happens, try shining a bright flashlight directly on the IR sensor in the front panel (it's in the middle right below the faceplate). That will force the receiver to reset and recalibrate without a reboot. If that fixes the problem it's almost certainly interference. If not, your hard drive may be failing.

I'm still running 4 of them without a single problem. TiVo hasn't updated the software for those units in a long time and there have been no recent updates.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Allow me to suggest that you get the free version of TiVo Desktop and copy (they call it 'transfer') all of the recorded shows you want to keep, and then remove the drive(s) from your TiVo and do a truncated backup to keep in a safe place for future reference, and then run the manufacturer's diagnostics on it(them).

You should also go read the "List of SATA to PATA (IDE) adapters, please add yours" thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=416883

to find out what SATA drives and adapters you may want to think about getting in the not too distant future if necessary, and it wouldn't hurt to check out the

Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370784

either. It started out Series 3-centric but there's a lot of info in there on what drives do or don't have what problems in many different TiVo models.

I'm not promising you that your drive(s) is(are) going bad, I'm saying in case that's the cause, here's how to get ready for it.

4. montyny

montyny New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks, that some things I hadn't thought about.

I can't really think of anything that has recently been added - so it may well be the hard drive.